Vacuum Diagrams for Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Diagrams for Carbs

I made a quick reference vacuum connection guide to cut down on the hassle of trying to follow the vacuum diagram in the FSM that I would like to share with anyone who wants it. It is 12 mostly labelled drawings from the manuals and was not meant to be fancy. It was originally begun for my own use but I have tried to add any extras that I thought would make things plain for another user. Any suggestions for improvement are welcomed. Hopefully I can get a working link and all the pictures copy out OK.................http://s46.photobucket.com/user/whatwuzzit/library/
    Last edited by tooldude; 07-25-2015, 04:24 AM.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Good work. Even though I don't plan to have a carby car, I saved your drawing to my "festy stuff" folder.
    Plans change, sometimes.
    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
    "Wenona"-89L parts car
    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I can't get the link to work. That's only 1 of 13 pages. The photo was not supposed to show as I was trying to save space on the forum.... Well, I still had edit time but I don't know if it's working right. It said use [img] link and that only gave me the 1 photo. That's the email link up there
      Last edited by tooldude; 07-25-2015, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I forgot to mention, I compared the 1988 vacuum drawings to the 1989, line by line. I don't know if the actual lines are exactly the same physically, but all the connections are same.

Comment

That is exactly the right diagram for the 1988 ecu....Did not know it existed. Thanks tooldude. Did that come from "vacuum guide" book? U recommend? that is more detailed than my haynes. What isthe Ptc heater? that is the relay you said I stumbled upon. The white/bl wire from that relay goes to the hazard switch; anychance that book has the hazard switch diagram? I would like to test/ohm that switch of mine. Thanks tool dude!!

Comment

The separate PTC fuse link is for the heater under the base of the carb. It is there to prevent icing on the butterflies when the car is started just above freezing and there is a high moisture content in the air. When the gas vaporizes it sucks out heat. The moisture in the air would condense and form ice, blocking the idle bleed holes. The car would stall if you took your foot off the gas pedal, until the engine was warmed up.

Comment

Carb'd festiva's are like French to me lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks. Added to my Festiva bookmarks. I have problems with Photobucket links to my albums. They have changed website nomenclature more than once so old links posted here no longer work.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                  Thanks. Added to my Festiva bookmarks. I have problems with Photobucket links to my albums. They have changed website nomenclature more than once so old links posted here no longer work.
                  PM an email address and I'll send you the pages. Hopefully they will come out really good that way.

Comment

Originally posted by katscan View Post
                    That is exactly the right diagram for the 1988 ecu....Did not know it existed. Thanks tooldude. Did that come from "vacuum guide" book? U recommend? that is more detailed than my haynes. What isthe Ptc heater? that is the relay you said I stumbled upon. The white/bl wire from that relay goes to the hazard switch; anychance that book has the hazard switch diagram? I would like to test/ohm that switch of mine. Thanks tool dude!!
                    Yes, the schematics are out of the 1988 book I posted and covers the entire car wiring. There's one for every year. Were you able to copy and enlarge them and get a readable print? The book I have has some very light print for some of the letters and numbers. My 1989 EVTM has good print but there are a few wires in those pages that have different colors between the 2 year models, so I could not use them. The connections are exactly the same (I don't think I missed any) but there are a couple of differences in the drawing layouts. Also, some of the components are not named well in the 1988 EVTM. I'll give the 1988 name first, then '89. Check connector = self test connector; in the carburetor block: air vent solenoid = being on the carb, must be the carb fuel bowl vent solenoid valve (yet labelled purge control solenoid in the '89 book); slow cut solenoid = decel fuel shutoff solenoid; vacuum sensor = MAP sensor; coolant thermo sensor (NOT a thermo vacuum valve under the manifold) = eng coolant temp sensor; ac solenoid = ac load control solenoid; coolant temp switch = radiator coolant temp switch; AP switch = barometric pressure switch; vac switch = WOT vacuum switch. This can all be very misleading.

Comment

Working...
                    X