Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust noise...sounds like when a fast motorcycle slows down and has that bubble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the adjustment didn't fix mine either.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

You have fuel injection? If the noises are being caused by unburned fuel in the exhaust, and the decel cutoff is working, then it seems that the fuel would be coming from leaking injectors. Seems like you should be able to test for voltage cut to the injectors with a test light or noid light.
      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

I feel stupid. So today I go outside and decide to tap on the muffler again to see if I can hear or see anything. This time I notice when I tap on the muffler and its moving around the pipe that comes from the converter into the muffler is just sitting there, not moving along with the muffler. I check into this and see that the dang pipe going into the muffler from the converter is rotted away not even connected to the muffler. DUH!! No wonder I wasn't getting any exhaust coming out of the muffler. The thing is that it is not loud at all, just bubbly sounding like I mentioned before. Thats why I thought something was clogged.
        So I drove it to the local muffler man and they wanted $300 from the converter back. They said it was all rotted. I think the muffler is still fine and most of the pipe isn't that bad, in my opinion. Is it easy to find existing pipe and clamp some onto the muffler and see what happens?

Comment

First I'd try loosening the nuts. If they will come off it's an easy job. Then see if a parts store has the pipe. Muffler shops can heat pipe with a torch and bend to fit. If you need to go to a shop call around for quotes. Muffler shops have notoriousy loose morals in my experience.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            First I'd try loosening the nuts. If they will come off it's an easy job. Then see if a parts store has the pipe. Muffler shops can heat pipe with a torch and bend to fit. If you need to go to a shop call around for quotes. Muffler shops have notoriousy loose morals in my experience.
            I should of took your advice earlier in the thread, I would have found the problem earlier. Do you happen to know the size of the exhaust pipe? Or would the parts store know that? There is only about a 4 inch section that is rotted out from the muffler to the rest of the pipe leading to the converter. I think I could even just slap a muffler over the existing pipe and clap her down and just use an extension for the rear of the muffler.

Comment

When I was a student in the 1960's they sold pieces of sheet metal and two clamps for patching but I've not tried to repair exhaust components lately, just replace. Each section has a flange for bolting onto the next section. Good luck.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You can buy short pieces of exhaust at part stores. IMO, though, If part of your exhaust is rotting, the rest is not far behind! Look around at small muffler shops and you should get a cat back for around $200. Look on ebay for exhaust too. Sometimes get a Festy exhaust at a reasonable price there
                Stock festy exhaust is very small, I think 1 1/2 inches. Id go 1 3/4 if done locally
                Last edited by drddan; 08-16-2015, 08:31 AM.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Okay, so do I really need a muffler? I know all the green planet crap but the car is not loud and I'm getting real good gas mileage. Its not buggin me plus we don't have all the emission testing here in Michigan like other states. I took the muffler off it was just hanging there by all the rubber holders.

Comment

On my '93 I don't have a muffler. Up until 2 days ago it still had the resonator but the pipe leading towards the rear decided it was time to break.

I went to the local parts store and got 2, 18" sections of 1 3/4" pipe (one end of each is swedged up to 1 3/4' I.D.)

I cut out the bad section of pipe/resonator, slipped both purchased pipes onto the existing exhaust (one from the front, one from the back), marked the new pipe with a 'sharpie' and cut to length.

Then I welded to 2 new pieces together to make a 'resonator substitute pipe' and clamped it all down.

For your situation you could get a piece of 1 3/4" pipe, along with a section of 1 3/4" flex pipe and make up the area that's missing. Possibly run a small down spout pipe as a turn down in the stock position and your done.

I used a piece of scrap round rod to go between the rear most hanger rubbers to support my 'muffler substitute pipe'....LOL.

My only baffling is done with the catastrophic converter.

Comment

I should just throw my muffler back up there so it looks like I have a muffler.

Comment

You could stand the muffler on one end and tap it lightly on the pavement to shake out any loose rust so it doesn't impede the flow.
                        Last edited by WmWatt; 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X