Leaky Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Festiva

Recently bought a festiva in what seemed to be awesome condition and it seems to be leaking transmission fluid and a little coolant.
    I'm gunna be broke just getting it on the road do these need to be fixed immediately or is there a cheap or temporary fix?
    I planned on attempting a manual swap in the spring anyways but I need the car for winter.
    Said fluids>
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Keep an eye on the fluid levels until you can fix it. That's the only way to keep going
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Would replacing the transmission/ radiator be the likely fix?

Comment

I could just be your transaxle seals.

Comment

Don't jump right into the hard and expensive repairs before you check all the small and cheap repairs, what color are the leaking fluids, Green, Red?

Good luck.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

One of them seems to be transmission fluid but it smells older/different than the fluid on the dipstick could be oil but its pinkish.
            The other is neon green but only a tiny bit of it after 2 days.
            I want to change the transmission eventually for that sweet, sweet mpg as I have the 3 speed auto.
            And also I can shift through gears without the key in the ignition and its finicky to get into reverse.

Comment

First thing would be to find out where it's coming from. If not obvious cleaning with a rag and looking again after a day or three can help.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok sc72 maybe I got excited about nothing looks like its just coming from a hose.
                Whats the best way to fix this could I just adjust it or will it spew out fluid?
                I'm not very experienced in fixing cars but excited to learn, Thanks!
                leak.jpg

Comment

Try tightening the clamps. All 4 of them.

Comment

It looks like you have enough hose. Put a second clamp on it along with tightening the other clamp.
                    You gonna race that thing?
                    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Though the root of your trans fluid leak is 1) replacement hose wrong type. It is not an industry standard you can get off the shelf, even the dealer won't have it, had to find a car in the U-pull-it with a long enough trans hose in 8mm, it was a later Lexus, ordered 2 from the dealer, (really too expensive, but guaranteed to work) and 2) screw type hose clamps don't work long term, not even short term in this particular application! Use the regular spring style clamp, the fuel inj hose size for Mazda is correct, they are your best bet.
                      don't diss the ATX until you have put a B6 to it ! I never thought I would live with an auto trans, but....
                      No car too fast !

Comment

Haha I like the auto but it shifts real hard into second gear. I tightened it for now and no leaking recently . The radiator leaks so slowly it doesn't seem to be an issue for now I'll just replace the whole thing eventually all the fins are bent up.

Comment

Do you have power steering?

Comment

Nope

Comment

Working...
                            X