ignition coil resistor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition coil resistor?

Replaced the factory coil with a Standard 803 12volt which says "use with external resisor" 7k km (4k mi) ago.
    Didn't see the warning when I installed it. Just bolted on what the parts store sold me.
    Today doing annual cleaning of spark plugs and wires and noticed warning printed on coil.
    I don't see a resistor anywhere. Maybe it's inside the distributor? This is a carburetted 1989.
    Searched this site and found mention of the resistor and looks like maybe added.
    Can anyone tell me if I need to add the resistor myself and what and where that would be?
    My ignition control module thanks you.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the resistor is unnecessary. I know mine never had one.

Comment

Is it something to stop AM radio interference?
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Nope. As I understand it, it's to isolate the ICM from voltage spikes.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

resistor is for vehicles that have a circuit that provides battery power during cranking. If the resistance of the primary is within specs do not worry about it.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
          X