Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement body work for my new Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement body work for my new Festiva?

Hey guys! Name's Harley, I'm obviously new to the forum, but I've just picked up a 1991 Festiva GL, fuel injected, 5spd. I'm going to be daily driving it, and fixing it up over time, which will be... interesting. It has some slight rocker rust, especially in front of the rear wheel wells. It also has rust along the front of the hood.
    I work in a sheet metal shop, and can weld and fabricate things easily enough, but I was hoping there might be easier access replacement body parts, and I figured y'all would know well enough! I'm pretty excited about this whole project, and am currently planning on the Aspire spindle and brake swap relatively soon, as I currently only have working front brakes, and my lines to the rear are clamped shut with a pair of vice grips that are bungeed to the bottom of the car... not exactly a permanent solution haha. Hooray for Michigan's deadly winters, crappy roads, and lack of inspections! :|
    I'm excited to be a part of the community, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!
    "Why aren't you slowing down?"
    "Don't have any brakes"
    "Why do you do things like this to me?"

Welcome to the "Madness" and the forum. Lots of information and support here.

Rust is the main issue with northern cars. The main "killer" issue is body brackets, in the rear, that the rear wheels cross member attaches to the body. Inspect them carefully. If they get to bad, the rear can detach.

Learn to use the search feature and you will find help for almost any subject dealing with Festiva's. The learning curve isn't very steep with these vehicles. They are very basic and if rust doesn't get them they go forever.

Someone will be along in a few minutes with some other ideas and help

frogman
    I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Hey thanks Frogman! I'll take a peek at those body brackets tomorrow. I'm going to limp it to work cautiously in the morning and I've got a welder there, so it shouldn't be an issue even if they're a little rusty!
      "Why aren't you slowing down?"
      "Don't have any brakes"
      "Why do you do things like this to me?"

Comment

Here in Canada last i checked about 2 years ago you could still get aftermarket replacement hoods, front bumpers and fenders from a place called cross canada. You would have to check your local suppliers. Ask if they sell rear quarter panels as well but i highly doubt it and welding in one of those would be more work than patching rust spots i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X