'88 distributor installation questiosn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '88 distributor installation questiosn

Some bozo stole the distributor off my AK 88, my only carby in the Last Frontier, so I have nothing to compare to while trying to install another distributor from my stock.

1. See 2nd photo -- where do I connect the two wires coming off the disty?

2. See 1st photo -- this appears to be a broken wire (blue/yellow) cause by the bozo. What is it? Do I need to reconnect it somewhere?

3. Which vacuum advance hose connects where? It seems that the one with red markings goes to the lower port?

4. Which way do the plug wires connect to the cap?
    Attached Files
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

If I am not mistaken the upper vacuum advance chamber hose goes under the base of the carb, and the lower vacuum advance chamber hose goes above the base of the carb. The eye wire goes to the positive side of the coil (rubber cover). The female connector goes to the double spade on the negative side of the coil.
    Please someone correct me if I am wrong. My car seems to operate just fine like that.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-06-2015, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks, BK.

Any know plug wire order on the distributor cap?
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

1342 find the 1 on the cap and put the wires on counter clockwise
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

The black wire with a white stripe goes to the +ive post on the ignition coil.
          The blue wire goes to the -ive post.
          The above two wires are wrapped together where they come out of the distributor.
          There is a lighter guage blue wire with a white connector which plugs into a single wire white connector at the front of the engine bay to the left of the distributor.
          The upper vacuum hose is black. It is the shorter of the two. It goes higher up about half way back on the engine.
          The lower hose is black with a dashed red stripe. It goes lower down toward the back of the engine.
          Sorry I don't have photos. If the hoses are already connected to the engine you should be able to plug them into the distributor correctly.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

OK, it runs -- for a few seconds at a time using fuel poured into the carb.

I still have the blue/yellow wire going nowhere and the single-position Molex on the disty connected to nothing.

I'll next figure out why I'm not feeding fuel.

Thanks, all.
            88L black, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Pull the fuel hose off the carb, point it away from you, and have someone start the car! Fuel should come out. If not, you have a bad fuel pump

WARNING:
              Don't light any matches while doing this!!!!
              Last edited by drddan; 08-06-2015, 06:42 PM.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Nothing came out of the fuel line into the carb during 5-second runs, so I tried more runs, eventually getting a gusher!

So, another Festy (black with red racing stripes and rust-free) has come back from a situation where most lay people would have said "Too expensive to fix ... put it down." I spent a total of $70.55 on rotor, cap, wires (which probably weren't needed), and M8 bolts to attach the "new" disty which came from a car I disassembled perhaps 10 years ago --- and 4 or 5 hours of my time.

I still haven't connected the broken blue+yellow wire anywhere, nor anything to the single-pin Molex on the disty. Anybody know what these are for? Idiot light, perhaps?
                Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM.
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

The 89 carb harness wiring is the same as the 88 carb harness wiring.
                  You have single position connector that has been torn off the blue/yellow wire.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 08-06-2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I'd check the fuel lines. One possible constriction is the rubber line going into the filter on the fire wall. Some people (I'm one) have replaced it with a longer line with a more gradual curve because the original can weaken with age and collapse. Another possibility is a clogged filtre at the pickup in the tank. Access to the tank is through a hatch in the floor under the rear carpet.
                    Last edited by WmWatt; 08-07-2015, 12:50 PM.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                    X