Tie Rod Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Rod Tool

Hey guys, I had purchased a tie rod tool kit from my local auto parts store for replacing my inner tie rods. All three of the adapters that came with it ended up being way too big for the inner tie rods that I need to replace. So I returned the tool and bought another kit from harbor freight. The HF one had 7 adapters, but NONE of them fit. Two were way too small(14mm and 17mm) and the other five were WAY too big(33.6mm-1 7/16"). I don't have any way of measuring the tie rod fitting, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's about a 21mm size. The largest wrench I have is a 19mm, and it looks like it's about 2mm shy of fitting. Anybody know for certain what fitting it is, and where I can find the correct tie rod tool kit size for it?

I really appreciate the help.

-Coop
    -Coop

Why do you want this tool ??

it is needed for applications that a straight wrench cannot reach. The Festiva is ideal for a straight wrench.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Good question. . I guess i should get a straight wrench. Is it a 21mm size that i need?
      -Coop

Comment

I replaced mine & bought a 19mm thinking that was the size, 21 is the right size
        sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

Also, most auto store won't have the festy size, there are a couple threads that guide you well on removing inners. If they are the originals, best to drill out a lock piece inside & you can see it when the wheel is turned. Or just wrench the crap out of it to sheer it off. Mine where once replaced so it wasn't that hard. Just make sure to dab on a bit of locktite to insure it's staying on. I used a small/big pipe wrench to get mine off. Highly suggest that. Search the forum for the write ups
          sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

I just did one this morning and used a small 2 jaw puller from the bottom. Didn't take but a few turns and it popped right up. Gotta go do the other side now.
            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
            "Wenona"-89L parts car
            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I have a stuck outer. It pops out of the steering knuckle but then it's rusted and won't turn. Awkward to try and get leverage from that angle. I don't have a lift. Any ideas?
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Wrench on inner, let it come against the firewall, wrench on outer. If not, remover inner and outer together.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjawimps View Post
                  Also, most auto store won't have the festy size, there are a couple threads that guide you well on removing inners. If they are the originals, best to drill out a lock piece inside & you can see it when the wheel is turned. Or just wrench the crap out of it to sheer it off. Mine where once replaced so it wasn't that hard. Just make sure to dab on a bit of locktite to insure it's staying on. I used a small/big pipe wrench to get mine off. Highly suggest that. Search the forum for the write ups
                  Yeah I think the ones I'm replacing are the original inner tie rods. I will look for the hole and then drill it. Thanks for the advice!
                  -Coop

Comment

Use a little heat then shoot it with that new freezing penetrant.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                    X