Transmission or clutch fluid leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission or clutch fluid leak?

I have a 1988 Ford Festiva 2 door hatchback with a 4 speed manual transmission. I have had the transmission replaced because it kept slipping out of gear. The mechanic told me that it was at the transmission end which would cost more to repair than to replace, so I had it replaced. It is leaking a brown type fluid now that smells like something is burning(it also smells the same way while I'm driving). I thought it was transmission fluid but someone else told me that it was clutch fluid. I didn't know that there was such a thing but I'm no mechanic. Also, originally when the transmission was replaced (I did have the entire clutch assembly replaced when I originally purchased the car), the car shifted great-nice and smooth. Now it is shifting rough - just like it was before I had the first transmission replaced. I really love my car but I'm not quite sure what to do now. I'd like to get fixed what is wrong but I don't know what is exactly wrong. If I know what to tell the mechanic it might cost me a lot less to get repaired. Any help would be appreciated.

cwilson,

First off welcome!

Secondly, re-assess this person as a source of information.
    ...but someone else told me that it was clutch fluid. I didn't know that there was such a thing ...
    There is such a thing as a hydraulic clutch cylinder, many Honda's have them, and 30 seconds under the hood would have told this person that the festiva is not one of these!

A brownish burnt fluid would indicate, to me, oil!
    Likely from the valve cover gasket.
    But not the only possible source for oil though.
    Check this link out:

As for your
    Now it is shifting rough - just like it was before I had the first transmission replaced.
    It is possible that the clutch cable may need adjusting as it is steel and will stretch a little after a new install. This assumes the mechanic used a new cable, could also be that the new clutch just needs adjusting. Procedure is in Haynes manual, don't have to be quantum physicists to understand the procedure and will definitely save you the cost of the book the first time you have to go to a mechanic.

Anyone in Michigan want to offer a hand?
    Too far for me in Ohio!

Pu241
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Transmission or clutch fluid leak

Hey! Thanks for the welcome!

I thought that it might be trans fluid instead of oil. I actually took it to a Ford Dealer to do an oil change and they indicated no oil leaks but in this day and age, who can you trust.

Is the linkage something that I might be able to do myself or should I take it to a mechanic to do that? I've been told that it can be adjusted but I'm scared someone will do something bad and I'll have to get another trans. When it was popping out of gear it was only 4th gear that it was coming out of and if I pushed really hard on the stick shift lever and held it there it would stay in gear. After I took it to the mechanic for an evaluation and to see if it could be adjusted (someone told me that that might be what I needed), it would not stay in any gear. I'm wondering what they did when they were testing it that would have caused the car not to stay in any gear.

I'll check out the link you gave me and thank you for it. I'm just really frustrated at this point because I don't know who to believe.

Comment

The reason I think it is oil is that tranny fluid is typically red!
        Now that I think about it, when the mechanic replaced the tranny I hope he used Mercon III or IV, which are automatic transmission fluids, but they are the correct fluids to use in the festiva manual transmission.
        Can you put a piece of whit paper under the car where it is leaking to collect a sample and see if has a red tint to it. Being new it should not be that dirty and should show a red color against the white paper.

Also had your mechanic known much about the festiva, he should have replaced your 4 speed with a 5 speed for the same money!

No offense, but if you don't feel comfortable changing oil, I don't think you want to make a clutch adjustment. But I still recommend you get the Haynes manual and read the procedure concerning clutch adjustment so you know what should be done and know what your paying for!
        Can some one post the clutch adjustment procedure so they have some idea as to what needs to be done?

This doesn't mean you can't learn to change your oil and adjust your clutch, just that you likely have little experience with mechanical issues.
        That can be fixed with some assistance from the people here at FordFestiva.com! That's why I asked if anyone was near by you!
        Of course they will need to know a more specific location than just Michigan, think there are a fair number of Michigan festiva owners here though.

Just had another thought (yes, they are rare ), wonder if your shift linkage is need of new bushings. Hard to make assessments from over the internet!

PM me if you want!

Pu241
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

cwilson,

Replied to PM Friday night!
          Any new developments?
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
          X