Dash Light issue (weird)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Light issue (weird)

I am almost done with getting my daily driver back up and running. My car is an 89 with orange regular speedo cluster. Few issues though. First nothing works. Speed temp or fuel gauge. The temp and fuel im not stressed about. The speed did work at one point but I didn't have dash lights so I took cluster out to see what was going on behind the cluster. I put it back and speed no longer works. Do I need a new speed cable or is there something I can do to see if this is the issue?

Next and this is the weird part. My dash lights cant be seen. The odometer does light up I can see it just fine. But the rest does not light up. Only thing if I look around the outside edge of the cluster (the part covered by bezel) I can see light. It just does not show through the cluster itself. I see 2 bulbs behind the cluster but the have a black piece behind them and honestly do not seem to plug into anything. Anybody know or any potential problem.
    1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
    1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
    2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
    2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
    2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
    1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

Check the METER fuse, change the dimmer switch and report back with your findings.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-14-2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Ok I'll check the fuse tomorrow. Any idea where I can locate a dimmer switch or is it possible to jump the switch?

Nevermind I found plenty on ebay. No junkyards here with festiva in them
      Last edited by 90fastiva; 08-14-2015, 08:44 PM.
      2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
      2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.

Comment

Check fuses etc. first then speedo cable can be tested with electric drill. Requires disconnecting from transmission. Photos here...
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok thanks just got off work this morning so after a quick nap I will check that out. Thanks

Comment

Ok guys sorry been few days got really busy. I checked the fuse it is ok. The dimmer works as it should. The lights just appear to be really faint. They are there just really faint. Could the bulbs just be weak?

Comment

Yes, all bulbs dim with age so it is feasible that they just need to be replaced...... For a few bucks and a little effort it seems reasonable that it would be with worth it .

Comment

Think that is what I'll try but will be driving few weeks beofre. I don't really won't to pull that cluster out again lol.

Comment

Working...
                X