Brake Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Issue

I recently took my car in to get an oil change and a service. When I got it back I was told there is a problem with the brakes (and I knew something was wrong but I didn't quite know what it was). Here's the problem: my brake pedal pretty much goes all the way to floor. but it still brakes the car. However, I had no brake fluid in the car. So he put some in but the problem still persisted. The brake pedal still went all the way to the floor. The mechanic thought there is a puncture in the brake fluid line, or there is a problem with the master cylinder (I don't know what the master cylinder is so, if one of you could tell me that would be great, ha). He didn't quite diagnose what the problem was but I was hoping you guys could help me instead of me taking the car back in. But could you fellas help me figure out the issue here? I am still learning car lingo so bear with me if I ask a lot of questions. Thanks for your help in advance.

-Mason ('89 ford festiva L)

p.s. I am doing a coolant flush this week too. Any suggestions on what type of cleaner and then radiator fluid I should use?

Well you say you added Break fluid.
    The thing under where you added the fluid is your master cylinder.
    If it was completely dry you have loads of air in your lines.
    This alone could make your pedal go to the floor you need to bead your breaks starting with the wheel the Farthest From the master cylinder back passenger and work you was closet . It sounds like you have a leak some where and you let the fluid get to low.

Comment

Your master cylinder is probably leaking out the back. A very common problem. Look for fluid on the power booster where the master cylinder bolts on. And yes you have air in the system if you were totally dry. If your pedal goes to the floor, the car shouldn't be driven until fixed.
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

Ok, so it looks like the master cylinder is leaking onto the power booster and form what you two have told me there is air in the lines. What do I do know?

Comment

Replace master cylinder then bleed the brakes.

Comment

Roger that. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
            X