Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need steering wheel puller

So I did a search for "steering wheel puller" and got this:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: "steering wheel puller"

Same nonsense searching for "steering wheel removal".

When I just search for "steering wheel" I get 56 pages of hits!

So .... the question is, once I've removed the nut, what kind of puller is best for removal of the steering wheel and where do I buy it ASAP (I'm trying to replace a bad headlight switch) over the counter. As you can see in my photo, there are threaded holes on both sides of the steering column, so the ideal puller would be a bar with holes/slots for bolts to thread into those holes. I don't have a metric thread measuring tool and no supply of spare bolts to try.

Surely someone out there has tackled this problem.

BTW, noting is rusted.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-20-2015, 08:56 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

All you need is 2 small metric bolts that act as pusher bolts. They thread right into the wheel- IIRC they are 10 mm
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Search "wheel removal" with quotes. You only get 7 hits.

This search engine does not like looking for a phrase with three long words, all together.

"old man winter" - no problemo
      "steering wheel removal" - no way Jose
      "subdermal contusion" - forget that
      Last edited by bravekozak; 08-20-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

These are not a big deal. They can't be or I wouldn't have thrown out 3 Festy steering wheels (and 4 others) when cleaning up the garage last year. Puller I have is a $30 Gray Tools Canada investment from 40 years ago; central fine threaded bolt and four sliding positions for auxiliary bolts that go into various crankshaft dampers, flywheels or steering wheels. Oftentimes a good and firm 'reef' with two forearms (once the central nut is off) will break free a steering wheel.

Comment

One big yank and mine came right off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually just wiggle it side to side while pulling and haven't found one yet I couldn't remove.
            - Form should follow function...

Comment

I've only ever once had to use a steering wheel puller, which was on my 323. Don't know why it wouldn't come off. Never had any problem with any other wheel.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I've tried wiggling. This steering wheel has never been off of this car (an 88LX) since I got it in 2001.

I tried various bolts from around the car. The one from the distributor-to-block fits -- I think that's an M8 ... by 1.25, right? A 12mm socket fits its head.
                Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-20-2015, 09:19 PM.
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

What I have done in the past is to leave the main steering wheel nut on the shaft but loose. Wiggle and pull hard and the steering wheel will eventually come off. When it does come off you'll know why you left the nut on the end of the shaft.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                    What I have done in the past is to leave the main steering wheel nut on the shaft but loose. Wiggle and pull hard and the steering wheel will eventually come off. When it does come off you'll know why you left the nut on the end of the shaft.
                    Yessiree! Talking from experience. "Wiggle and pull hard" is often an understatement when trying to do this , and perfect reason to leave the nut on there spun loose.

Comment

All too true! A shot of PB blaster after the nut is loose, 5 minutes later it will come loose. "Wiggle means here push forward with the right hand while pulling back with the left, all in line with the column, and then alternate which hand pushes and which pulls, never failed yet! But DO leave the nut on like 3 turns, facial lacerations bleed a lot!
                      No car too fast !

Comment

You can buy one from ANY parts store , less than $10.
                        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Gents all you need is two small bolts-I found two in my bolt bucket from partn out Festy's.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Always wiggled mine off, and Nitro is right, two small bolts if you can't wiggle it.
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Generally preferring the "Use the right tool and do the job in 10 seconds" method, I found this (see photo) never-opened tool in one of my Festy boxes and had the wheel off in second (using the supplied 8mm bolts). It did take a 12" ratchet handle that I normally use for wheel lug bolts to get it loose.
                              Attached Files
                              88L black, dailydriver
                              4 88/89 disassembled
                              91L green
                              91GL aqua pwrsteer
                              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
                              X