Knock knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock knock

Who's there? Anyways actual problem I replaced the ignition coil and plugs on my festiva. Now I hear a knocking and one or more cylinders is firing early. The distributor is moved all the way to the right because that's the only time it will start. Is something wrong? Did possibly the previous owner install the "new" plug wires wrong? I recently bought it trying to fix the little problems that make the car so low on power.
    88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

The correct firing order is 1-3-4-2 reading counterclockwise.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      The correct firing order is 1-3-4-2 reading counterclockwise.
      ... With #1 being the one at the opposite end from the distributor and #4 being closest to the distributor. Another thing to check is whether or not the timing belt has skipped a tooth or two.

Ian
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

right I know that I will have to go back to the garage and review the wires again and make sure tomorrow. Is there anything else that could cause this? I'm surprised it is doing this now unless due to the factory coil whatever are pre-igniting weren't before until I got a new coil and plugs put on.
        Last edited by Meepersly; 08-20-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

The old coil may have been producing a lowered peak voltage. With a new coil, there could be arcing between the plug wires, firing plugs out of order if the insulation is compromised. Look for arcing in the dark or widely separate the plug wires. Also, there could be arcing in the dist cap.
          When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem the car has new plug wires. Thanks for the help I will check all this tonight after work.
            Last edited by Meepersly; 08-21-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

You can try cleaning and checking the gap on the sparkplugs.
              Also that the ignition wires are firmly attached to the sparkplugs and distributor.
              A bit of WD-40 will help the rubber boots slide up the wire so you can inspect the ends.
              The contacts at the ends of the wires can be squeezed a bit with a pair of pliers for better contact.
              Connecting the ends back on before sliding the boots down will put the boots at the right position.
              A vacuum guage will show misses. Good luck.
              Last edited by WmWatt; 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                You can try cleaning and checking the gap on the sparkplugs.
                Also that the ignition wires are firmly attached to the sparkplugs and distributor.
                A bit of WD-40 will help the rubber boots slide up the wire so you can inspect the ends.
                The contacts at the ends of the wires can be squeezed a bit with a pair of pliers for better contact.
                Connecting the ends back on before sliding the boots down will put the boots at the right position.
                A vacuum guage will show misses. Good luck.
                I had just replaced the plugs and gapped them appropriatly

Comment

OK just checked timing belt its good, wires go to their correct sparkplugs. what else could it be? I'll try doing the timing again and see how it runs.
                  Last edited by Meepersly; 08-21-2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

So after some investigating I found out my harmonic balancer is wobbling like a drunk sailors legs. Is my crank shaft bad? I know they can snap but can't they get out of balance and it be a matter of time even if I change out my harmonic balancer? Do I need to pull the engine out ot change said harmonic balancer it looks terribly tight where it is at.
                    Last edited by Meepersly; 08-21-2015, 07:52 PM.

Comment

So all of those who were wondering. Could it have been too rich of a fuel to air ratio? When I pulled my carb off as well as pulling sparkplugs the plugs and intake were soaked in gasoline. I assume that was the problem.

Comment

If it runs this way long enough and the problem with your sailer is the keyways and key wearing because the hub came loose it can damage your crankshaft.

A damaged crankshaft can usually be salvaged with a little JB around the new key and proper torque of fasteners.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Too rich shouldn't cause a knock, but it will cause a loss of power. Your loose crank pulley will cause a rattle that could be confused with a knock. The loose crank pulley will also throw off your ignition timing, which is why you have to adjust the distributor so drastically, and the timing belt may have skipped a tooth, which will cause poor power output, timing being off and possibly a knock. It sounds like it's time for a major service on that old b3 before something catastrophic happens.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-03-2015, 10:19 AM.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

What He ^ said. the infamous small nose crank problem because someone didn't torque the crank bolt properly.
                            No car too fast !

Comment

so its my pulleys aren't tight enough? Strange but I will take a look at them. Aren't they held on by 4 10mm bolts and one 21mm bolt in the middle? also this is how it is right now.

Not done testing but cylinders may be soaked in fuel from the super rich carb. Also going to do a compression test. Fuel rail is getting 40psi is that good?
                              Last edited by Meepersly; 09-06-2015, 12:16 AM. Reason: added vid

Comment

Working...
                              X