Changing out water pump tips? Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing out water pump tips? Help?

After work I'm swapping my water pump for a new one on my stock festiva any helpful tips? Directions? I don't have a repair manual and haven't done one before

Tip one: get a repair manual. Much easier than back-and-forth Q&A on the web, for this and future jobs. You may still have some questions, but they will not be really basic ones, saving you time.

If you will also be doing the O-ring in the bypass tube, after installing it cover it with silicon, then let it cure for a day. While you're at it, you might want to take this opportunity to pull that tube and re-paint it.

Also, since you had to drain the rad anyway, see if it would be a good idea to replace rad hoses, heater hoses, and the little bendy hose on the bypass tube, near cyl #4. Maybe do a heater core flush too.
    Last edited by TominMO; 08-27-2015, 09:10 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^ what Tom said about the manual.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

If you get a manual don't torque the pullie bolts to wat it says I can't remember what the manual says exactly I'm think 45fp or something but it's way to much just get them snug. Several people here have broke the bolts

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
          If you get a manual don't torque the pullie bolts to wat it says I can't remember what the manual says exactly I'm think 45fp or something but it's way to much just get them snug. Several people here have broke the bolts
          The Haynes manual says 14 - 19 foot-lbs. Same as thermostat housing BTW.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Just another vote for getting the Haynes manual. If you keep the car for a while the money saved doing repairs yourself more than pays for the book. Even if you take it to a shop to get something done you can read up on it, talk knowingly to the mechanic, and avoid misunderstandings, not to mention impressing the mechanic with your knowledge (ie they won't be able to snow you).
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

What Tom said!
              And don't ignore the "little bendy hose" on the bypass....or you may regret it....
              FWIW, pump pulley bolts torque 5-7 lb/ft.
              No car too fast !

Comment

Do not buy the cheapest pump you can find. I have examples I can show of impellers that have fallen off. I always buy a new pump not reman regardless of the warranty who cares if it has a lifetime warranty I don't want to do it again.
                30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                  Do not buy the cheapest pump you can find. I have examples I can show of impellers that have fallen off. I always buy a new pump not reman regardless of the warranty who cares if it has a lifetime warranty I don't want to do it again.
                  Absolutely; buy the best parts you can get your hands on, as a general rule.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                  X