Oil pressure/ idle issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure/ idle issues.

My car is doing odd things. It's probably still upset about the break in.

While cold, it runs and idles perfect. Right about 850 rpms. When it gets warmed up to around 1/4 the temp gauge. The idle drops to around 500 and the oil light comes on if the rpms are increased, the light goes back off.

Here are a few more possible symptoms. Slight miss under load, phantom coolant loss. It's still green and the oil is not milky save a sort of film on the rad cap. I never smell coolant while driving.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Is it a b3?
    The idle should be 750rpm when hot, higher when cold, set the idle screw when its hot.
    I cant remember if the heated intake has the coolant going through a gasketed area, could be leaking into the fuel/air mixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a b6 1st gen
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Compression test on head gasket.
        Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to see if it is really that low.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 08-29-2015, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Compression test complete, 145 140 170 170. Still looking for a cheap mechanical oil gauge.
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I would suspect something going on with the head gasket between 1 and 2.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

adjust air/fuel ratio srew when it is cold,it is maybe from your oil pump,or the mechanic has not tightened fixed bearings of engine,friction between crankshaft and bearing makes engine hot

Comment

I suggest overhaul your carburetor,i mean your carburetor idle circuit needs repairs.and probably you have a blown head gasket, these are possible causes

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                  I would suspect something going on with the head gasket between 1 and 2.
                  But why would it idle fine until warm? Also, the oil pressure issue. 2 issues then, or are they related?
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                    But why would it idle fine until warm? Also, the oil pressure issue. 2 issues then, or are they related?
                    Maybe because there isn't any pressure in the cooling system until it warms up. What did the plugs look like on those cylinders that were low? Did they have white residue on them? You can get a coolant system pressure tester at the auto parts store with the tool loaner program. Also, how did you perform the compression test? Did you have the throttle plate wide open and all spark plugs out?
                    Last edited by Eaglefreek; 08-29-2015, 07:35 PM.
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Another symptom. It's idling super lean. In the high 17's low 18's. While cruising, it's at about 14.9 though. Upon inspection I am missing one bolt that connects the exhaust manifold yo the exhaust pipe. I will replace this bolt and see if that changes.
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                        Maybe because there isn't any pressure in the cooling system until it warms up. What did the plugs look like on those cylinders that were low? Did they have white residue on them? You can get a coolant system pressure tester at the auto parts store with the tool loaner program. Also, how did you perform the compression test? Did you have the throttle plate wide open and all spark plugs out?
                        They looked pretty much the same, I think the one was a little whiter, I will post photos on Monday.

Yes I had the throttle down the whole time it was turning over. I only took the plug out of the one I was testing, I replaced it before moving to the next one.
                        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Haven't got a chance to pull the plugs for a photo but I'm starting to think that the head gasket is shot. While looking into the radiator when the car is idling, it looks almost as if the coolant is boiling. The coolant is also starting to take on a murky color. Not the bright green that it should be. I am also having to put in coolant about every 3 days.

The blow by seems to be getting worse as well.

Man oh man this sucks. I cannot afford to have the car down for more than a day.
                          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Working...
                          X