Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission wont let me shift into 5th or reverse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission wont let me shift into 5th or reverse..

Hi I am new, but i like to think I am mechanically inclined.. so hear goes..

I have a festiva 88 lx with the 5 speed.. a while ago my mother was using it and she heard some loud metal breaking sound and saw nothing in the road nor could she find where something had broke under the hood. we later discovered that 5 and reverse gear are not functioning. As in, it wont even LET us shift into it. it wont engage, it wont even go into position.. all other gears work perfectly. any idea what it may be thats causing this issue? Or am I going to have to rebuild it? and if so, what should I focus on aside from an entire rebuild kit?
    Last edited by shadeemry; 08-30-2015, 12:01 PM.

You will most definitely have to rebuild it. Speaking of fifth ... PM me if you need one of these.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-30-2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Check oil level and make sure the bar that goes from underneath the shifter to the trans is still attached.
      But probably a rebuild if the other gears work perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There may be slight chance if the two gears are at the same side of the shift lever travel that it's the shifter. Mine was getting hard to get into 1st and 2nd until I replaced the shifter bushings.
        Assume it won't go into those gears when parked, not just when driving?
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Transmission wont let me shift into 5th or reverse..

Could be the shifter but what was the metal sound? They are easier than you would think to repair. Just need patience.
          Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 08-30-2015, 03:56 PM.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

If the car is your DD, find a good used box to fit, and fix yours at a less frantic pace. A gear box overhaul should not be rushed, not hard to do, but time consuming if this is your first!
            No car too fast !

Comment

anyone have a 5 speed their selling or know a good place to get one? Also, anyone have the Manuel for rebuilding one of these? thank you@!

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                You will most definitely have to rebuild it. Speaking of fifth ... PM me if you need one of these.
                what is that, a syncro + gear?

Comment

It is what holds the syncros and completes the torque path to the main shaft
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                  X