5 spd. transmission identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 spd. transmission identification

With the last festy I bought i was given an extra manual trans and was told it was a 5 speed out of another 93, how do i make sure of this before i pull my 4 speed out of my 89 to put this one in? And will the 4 speed cv axles be the same spline count and everything(i'd assume they were)?

I finally got my tach installed and i'm at like 3k rpm at 55 mph and it drives me up a wall being pretty much halfway through it's rev range with the 4 speed so I want to put in the 5 speed asap.

TL;DR version: how can i visually tell if this transmission i was given out of another 93 festiva is a 5 speed? I'll get a picture if it's necessary.

The axles will be the same.

Standing behind the trans grab the shifter mechanism, and turn it clockwise and pull it hard. If it is able to click into a position it's a 5 speed. If it doesn't it's a 4 speed.
    Last edited by sketchman; 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

i think i was only able to pull in and out on that t handle with the boot if thats what you're talking about.. once i get back to the garage i'll try twisting it clockwise. This will be a huge let down if its just another 4 speed..

Comment

It has to twist. That's what the shifter does when you move it left or right. It's swinging the shifter linkage and twisting that T piece. Then back and forth on the shifter moves it in and out. On a 5 speed trans you'll have 3 positions (in, center, out) with the T twisted counter clockwise and clockwise and no twist.
        Last edited by sketchman; 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I just did this swap Btw. Totally worth it.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

it felt like it's a five speed, she's dirty though, the guy had it outside his garage when i went to get the car and there was a little bit of sand in the drivers side cv shaft input.. i think i could just vacuum out the cv input and keep flushing a quart of atf in it shaking it around and draining it a few times threw a strainer to hopefully get any gunk that might have got inside the trans out of it for when i go to do the swap. might aswell pick up a new clutch kit while im at it too since it'll need the throw out bearing and the cars on its original clutch and pressure plate.. and my grandmother rode the clutch like no tomorrow.. im surprised it still even has as much catch as it does still.
            Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-02-2015, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I don't know how people drive those with 4 speed trannys. I had a similar experience driving a friend's f150 with a 3 speed auto down the freeway for him.
              88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

Interestingly my old Neon with a 3spd auto got the same fuel economy as when I swapped to 5spd manual. Even on highway driving. It was weird.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Better than my friend's f150 it was fuel injected but you could watch the fuel guage move if you were going 75
                  88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

So this trans has been getting tossed around with no axle in it? Better make sure the side gears haven't fallen out of place.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                    X