Carb timing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb timing issues

Alright I know I've posted multiple threads but when I use the search nothing really relevant to my issues comes up or has any possible answers for me to go off of but here goes..

this is for my carbed 89.

I have a accel Super coil part number #140001 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-140001/overview/

Msd street fire 8mm universal wires

and e3 plugs

along with borg warner p series cap and rotor.

I can not get the car to run right for the life of me.. If I set it to around i think 0 or +1 degrees for timing as it says on the hood the engine bucks around like crazy(probably just bad motor mounts but it shouldnt bop around like that..)

I can't even get it close to running at 700 rpm unless the tach i have is reading incorrectly as the lowest i've gotten it while it sits in neutral is 1k rpm and at that point the motor sounds like its pinging pretty bad, the car then runs hot and is delayed on power.. but say i run 10 degrees advanced it feels smoother but it seems to run just as hot and the delay when you want to mat it in say second from 25 mph is almost enough to kill the car.

I'm at a total loss here as to what to do.. timing by ear seemed to work but i just didnt feel comfortable not knowing what i was running it at.. then i used a timing gun and screwed everything up and have been puttzing with it all day..

EDIT: also no matter where i set the timing it has a miss of some sort, you can hear it clear as day since its straight piped into a super 10 muffler. kind of like a putt putt noise every few seconds or so.
    Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-02-2015, 06:32 PM.

10 is what's it's supposed to be not 1.
    Make sure you plug your vacuum advance when setting timing.

Comment

okay i had it at an unknown amount above 10 (it was past the timing marks) and thats where it seemed to run decently, i plug the upper vacuum line on the advance and not the bottom correct? and remove the electrical plug on the radiator side of the dist aswell.

But thats where i was kind of concerned since i couldnt see since the notch was appearing quite a few degrees before the timing marks as i don't want to hurt the motor.

I'm used to just timing chev 350's by ear and letting them buck but i'm just so paranoid about hurting the thing.
      Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-02-2015, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Carb timing issues

Don't hurt it and set the timing at 10 degrees with a light. Then diagnose your misfire. What carb setup are you running?
        Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 09-03-2015, 04:30 AM.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Timing belt? Ignition control module in distributor? Ignition wires? Spark plugs? Some people have a spare distrubutor off another car they put on as an easy way to check the original distributor and control module.
          There's also the idle cotntrol screw on the carburettor. Probelm is if you start adjusting too many things it's hard to get it all back to where it was originally. I adjust one thing at a time and put it back to where it was before moving on to the next thing.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 09-03-2015, 06:14 AM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Have you checked your vacuum advance canister? If it is bad you will have timing and idle issues.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
            X