can't get transmission back in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get transmission back in!

Please help. I took the transmission out of my 96 ford aspire to replace with another used one I purchased from a salvage yard. The one I took out bearings were wore out where the Axle slides in. I have tried several times to put the new one in and I can't get it to slide onto the splines. Any pointers? Or a step by step how to? Please and thank you! I wish I knew this forum existed a long time ago this is awesome

Did the snap rings bugger the splines ?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I guess I need to re word. I can't get the input shaft to slide into the motor.

Comment

What? An Aspire with a bad trans? I find that hard to believe since I've only had to change the trans in 4 out of the 7 Aspires I currently own. One of them twice!!(sarcasm)
        You might try just turning the trans input shaft a little and try again.They can be a bear sometimes.You have to get the alignment of the trans and engine just right.I usually just do it by hand without a jack and it might take a bunch of wiggling and some colorful language but eventually they mate up.

Comment

Did you use the clutch alignment tool when you replaced the clutch disk?
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Did you use the clutch alignment tool when you replaced the clutch disk?
            For the longest time I never used an alignment tool, just eye balled it

Then I had left over transmission parts and decided to use the primary gear shaft as an alignment tool hahaha

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I did not replace clutch. It was just replaced a few months ago. We tried turning the shaft yesterday I guess we just gotta get lucky lol. Hopefully better luck today. Never thought it would be this hard to change such a little trans!

Comment

The little trans isn't the problem. The little engine bay is.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

The engine can shift a little making correct alignment impossible.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Hopefully get to try again today if my brother can come help. Can't wait to get her fixe! Trucks 15 mpg is killin me

Comment

Did you pull it from the bottom ? Leave engine in the car ?
                      New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by jstone270 View Post
                        Trucks 15 mpg is killin me
                        LoL!! But when you need a full sized truck.....

Good luck on your refit! Sometimes when removing a trans, the clutch disc can be pulled sideways a little. Try to make sure it is still centered. I have always dropped the power train out the bottom for service because it makes everything easy to do!
                        No car too fast !

Comment

Inspect all the splines, make sure they aren't boogered up, make sure the clutch hasn't slipped in position any, best to check with an alignment tool ( A piece of plastic with splines, no big deal,) if it doesn;t slide in at first, give the input shaft a bit of a spin, and when in doubt, lubricate.
                          Last edited by scitzz; 09-03-2015, 10:42 PM.
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

A trick that has helped me with an installation before is to use 2 upper and 2 lower bolts long enough to help support and evenly space the mating surfaces as a trans is moved toward the engine. With the Festiva it may only be possible to use 1 upper bolt but I believe the 2 lower ones will give the most help. Hopefully the clutch disc was not bent during removal from any weight or force against it, which would misalign the splines. If the disc/splines have not moved, the shaft should go right into the pilot bushing. If the problem you're having is getting the input shaft into the clutch splines, it may be because the shaft is dropping down from play in its bearing. Then you may have to use a slight upward cant to get it started. Otherwise, it's because of the uneven spacing moving forward.
                            When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

I just gave up and pulled the engine after a while. Lined up the trans then set the engine
                              into it. Seemed easier in the end. Also, we had to leave the CV axles in as they wouldn't
                              come out so the engine to trans plate had to be slightly...adjusted.
                              1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X