Festiva bucking while accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva bucking while accelerating

Hi guys, I've noticed the last few weeks that when I accelerate from a stop, while I'm in second gear @ around 2000-2500, my car starts bucking a bit, and continues for a bit until I get up to speed. But this only happens after I drive it for 15 minutes or so. It sort of feels like the engine isn't getting enough fuel. This happened originally during the rain a few weeks ago, and it was so bad that I had to get off the highway and take back roads to where I was going. My little Festy wasn't having any part of any speed over 40. When it stopped raining and dried off a bit the car would go back to normal. I was perplexed, to say the least. However, I parked it to get gas and opened up the hood, and it looked like the MAF sensor was a bit wet, so I have a feeling that the rain ruined the sensor and now its acting crazy. Also, occasionally the check engine light will come on, but if I give a little more throttle it turns off.

Any suggestions? Maybe the MAF or oxygen sensor?
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

I have an issue with mine right now that acts very similar and the check engine light comes on when it's bucking. I found out the connector on my ECT sensor is loose and it wiggles loose from vibration. I need to find another connector.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Check the wiring into your distributor and your TPS while you are at it.
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

+1^ I've had similar with bad plug wires and it would only miss under heavy load. Your cars and auto right twfodo?

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
          +1^ I've had similar with bad plug wires and it would only miss under heavy load. Your cars and auto right twfodo?
          Yes its a 90 Auto. Sorry, I intended on mentioning that but I forgot. I checked the wires a moment ago and it felt like one of them was a little loose, so maybe I had a bad connection. I'll find out when I drive home from work today. I put new plugs and wires in when I bought the car, so the wires themselves should be fine. They only have about 21,000 on them.
          1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
          1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
          2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

OH! Also! On the top of the distributor, the wiring from the harness, one of those came loose on my car and gave me similar problems, until it pulled all the way out, then I had zero spark.
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Could be the distributor itself giving out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you suspect moisture you can spray with WD-40 (WaterDispersant-40).
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X