Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine running rough / no power

Arghhh.... starting to get annoyed now!

Was driving into work on Friday when my car went from running normal to lacking power. No warning lights, temp good, oil good. No funny noises from the engine. Pulled over to the side of the road to see if it was something obvious and the car died as soon as I pulled over. Managed to restart it but it ran very rough at idle and took forever to get up to speed. Almost sounds like it has a miss / delayed timing on all four cylinders. The engine almost sounds like a WRX at idle and while revving. The funny thing is it is able to rev and sounds almost normal at high revs, but idle and low end have something strange going on.

So... here is what I have checked so far. Noticed I had a weak spark (Orange) and thought maybe my coil was going bad. Put a new one in, runs better, but not the main issue. At least with the new coil I am able to hit over 110 km/h vs 80 km/h before. Still lacks any real power.

Checked the rotor and cap and it looks normal. Going to change it out with a known good set to see if it changes anything. Maybe will try the distributor as well. Tried advancing and retarding the timing but it didn't seem to make any difference. Checked the timing belt as well and everything appears to be properly lined up?

Also going to try changing out the VAF and see if it makes any difference.

Checked all the vacuum hoses and didn't find anything loose or cracked.

Other thing I have noticed is the exhaust is getting hot quick and it appears to be burning more fuel.

No codes at all.

Would love to hear any ideas for anything else to check. Really starting to loose my mind on this!!!

Thanks for any help.
    - Form should follow function...

Compression check, timing, clogged convertor. Bad gas, my car still acts up when it rains. Just throwing things out there.

Comment

Was it like this?

Not done testing but cylinders may be soaked in fuel from the super rich carb. Also going to do a compression test. Fuel rail is getting 40psi is that good?
      88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

I would check the large accordion hose that runs from the air filter box to the engine for cracks and splits. If air gets in there it can make your engine run weird especially at low speeds.

Comment

Well, looks like i'm a tool! Should have checked my plugs first. One plug had no gap from buildup, and one plug was missing a tip! Switched back to copper plugs and everything seems good.

Oh well... At least the old girl got a heck of a tuneup today!
          - Form should follow function...

Comment

Retarded timing like mentioned above will cause exhaust to run really hot. A melted cat will plug up. After it is plugged you can play with the timing all you want and it will not run like it should. Uncork ahead of the cat and test drive. Probably should avoid test driving past cops or through hospital zones. Ex 'es house at midnight would be entirely appropriate.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
              Retarded timing like mentioned above will cause exhaust to run really hot. A melted cat will plug up. After it is plugged you can play with the timing all you want and it will not run like it should. Uncork ahead of the cat and test drive. Probably should avoid test driving past cops or through hospital zones. Ex 'es house at midnight would be entirely appropriate.
              Too Funny you made my day.
              88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

Last time at midnight I was a little bleary eyed. It took several passes until I was sure...
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                X