Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Several problems with my roomates Festiva.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several problems with my roomates Festiva.

New to the forum. I think the car is an '88 but I'm not sure. I'll find out and let you guys know after she gets off work. It's a four speed manual if that helps.

Anyways...
    1) It feels like one of the brake rotors is warped because under moderate braking the car shakes violently.
    2) I think there's an oil leak because there is oil spots under the car and after being run at a moderate rate the engine smokes slightly. The smoke is grayish blue in color.
    3) The shift light comes on at inappropriate times.
    4) There is a strange noise under acceleration much like the sound made by putting cards in a bicycle wheel.
    5) The shift lever is extremely loose.

If you guys can help me out with any of these issues that would be great. Thanks!
    I don't own a Festiva, but I drive one on TV.

Re: Several problems with my roomates Festiva.

Originally posted by agentdowell
    New to the forum. I think the car is an '88 but I'm not sure. I'll find out and let you guys know after she gets off work. It's a four speed manual if that helps.

Anyways...
    1) It feels like one of the brake rotors is warped because under moderate braking the car shakes violently.
    2) I think there's an oil leak because there is oil spots under the car and after being run at a moderate rate the engine smokes slightly. The smoke is grayish blue in color.
    4) There is a strange noise under acceleration much like the sound made by putting cards in a bicycle wheel.

If you guys can help me out with any of these issues that would be great. Thanks!
    1) it probably is warped rotors.
    2) look at the engine and find the highest place ther is oil on it, that is probably wher the leak is. the smoke is not from an oil leak, it most likely has worn rings or valve stem seals so its burning oil.
    3) don't know what to tell you about that, just ignore the light.
    4) have you checked the wheels for cards? JK, could be a lot of things.
    5) go to your local ford dealer and get shifter bushings for it, its not had to replace the bushings.
    AIM= bobbo216

Comment

Sweet! Thanks dude. It is an '88 Festiva L in case that mattered.

Any tips on replacing those valve seals and stems? Hopefully this won't be too expensive.

Comment

Anyways...

please clarify some points:
        2) does the smoke come from under the hood or out the tailpipe?
        and
        4) is the noise relative to speed of the engine itself or is the noise still there if you depress the clutch while accelerating?
        and
        5)what do you mean by loose, is there side to side movement while in gear or is it just real easy to shift into gear with the occasional pop out of gear?

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj
          please clarify some points:
          2) does the smoke come from under the hood or out the tailpipe?
          and
          4) is the noise relative to speed of the engine itself or is the noise still there if you depress the clutch while accelerating?
          and
          5)what do you mean by loose, is there side to side movement while in gear or is it just real easy to shift into gear with the occasional pop out of gear?
          The smoke comes from under the hood, near the back of the engine comparment.

The noise is completely dependant on the accelerator. Depressing the clutch doesn't affect it, only how much the gas pedal is depressed.

Gear shifting is normal, it doesn't fall out of gear. The lever is simply loose, like you said, lots of movement when in gear.

Comment

The smoke comes from under the hood, near the back of the engine comparment.

The noise is completely dependant on the accelerator. Depressing the clutch doesn't affect it, only how much the gas pedal is depressed.

Gear shifting is normal, it doesn't fall out of gear. The lever is simply loose, like you said, lots of movement when in gear.
            the oil leak isn't from your valve seals, it is from your valve cover gasket and/or distributor seal ( an pretty easy repair)

as for the noise- you will want to check : EGR operation, actual spark timing with a timing light and also the timing advance and retard on the distributor itself,
            and may want to check the codition of the timing belt itself

and for the looseness , check the shifter stabilizer bar bushing on the transmission (it runs along side the shifter bar under the car)

Comment

and if you do not have one already,

buy a Haynes Festiva/Aspire repair manual

it is a good guide to how to work on a Festiva , but not the bible

Comment

I've been telling her to buy one of those manuals for some time. I had a Clymer for my Kawaski 636 and it was gold. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X