5 speed in, car wont idle down..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed in, car wont idle down..

swapped in my 5 speed, marked every vac line on the carby b3 with masking tape with a code on it along with all the things on the firewall with the same code for where they go. had one extra white 2 prong plug from the trans to the car but nothing to plug it into..

Any one know what i may have messed up that will keep the car revved at 3k rpm?? i need the car to run properly soon because I've been driving my mud truck... cant keep up with the fuel in the big truck to use it for daily driving at all..
    Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-23-2015, 12:21 AM.

The extra plug probably is the input for 4th gear to the computer. It was only used on 4 speed cars.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

already messed with the timing again but its either lower idle and chugging no power/ high idle and it's responsive and goes like a rocket, car doesnt like to run well anywhere near the 10 on the timing marks will run smoothly near 16 or past the timing marks all together.. and the idle screw if i'm correct isnt even touching the actuator for the plate in the carb-even tried to adjust the throttle cable but it did not let the cable any closer.

Comment

Is the choke opening all the way in 3 minutes or so from start up ?

Comment

choke seems to be closed or something and not functioning maybe.. wonder why though.. i'll have to chase the red wire it has going to it to see if i tore it or something but it looks untouched- and no even after it gets to operating temp it still sits at 2-3k rpm, the adjustment for the idle is the screw on the actuator for the throttle is it not? because thats what i adjusted last time to get the idle down.. but its not even touching the throttle plate anymore.. even tried adding slack to the throttle cable..

and one last question what is the setting i should have the white knob on the back of the carb set to? i assumed thats the air fuel setting.

(i've got a accel super coil-8.5mm spiral msd wires-e3 plugs if it matters any)
          Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-24-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Sounds like an air leak. Vacuum line is off.
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

i wish i knew where.. cant hear it.. have the same issue with my 89 fox but you can clearly hear the woosh of air from the missing line.. this lil car not so much.

Comment

Make sure the secondary side is closed on the carb. Take hold of the end of the shaft and see if you can close it any. The throttle cable is connected to the primary side shaft and the vacuum diaphragm is connected to the secondary side shaft. If the secondary side is open even just a little, it will give you a high idle.
                You gonna race that thing?
                http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

try spraying with carb cleaner, inside and also outside linkages. Haynes says the idle rpms should be 750. I think you have to unplug something or insert a jumper wire somewhere when checking the idle and setting the white knob to 750. better fix any vacuum problems first though.
                  Last edited by WmWatt; 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If the white knob isn't touching the linkage the the choke part of things , the fast idle part is probably sticking. I have to clean mine once a year with carb cleaner to keep it free. What ever change you try record the change so that you can put it back. If the knob makes a change and is touching then you are getting air from somewhere all discussed above.

Comment

Nothing to ad here all good advice just wanted to say hi to everyone.Is that against the rules?
                      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Hey what's up ricko. You can start your own thread and everyone will welcome you. That way this guy can get his car fixed. You can post some pics in there also to show us your ride.
                        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                          The extra plug probably is the input for 4th gear to the computer. It was only used on 4 speed cars.
                          So if this is left unplugged there are no adverse issue you have to address?

Comment

Working...
                          X