1990 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 rebuild

hey guys just tore apart my 1.3l engine and about to start cleaning it and replacing everything but I may need a new block, any suggestions on the cheapest most reliable place to get gaskets and parts.. also I would really love to swap the tranny from automatic to 5 speed manual I don't have a lot of experience so any good kits you have used or suggestions are helpful! I have a lot of parts to replace so would it be cheaper to just get a new motor?

Probably better to get a new engine, depending on what needs to be replaced, and might I recommend getting a B6? Bolts right in, and you'll have more power to work with.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

b6 out of a miata? will there be any transmission issues?

Comment

No transmission issues, as it is the same block as the B3 1.3L, just bored out to 1.6L. However, if you get a B6 DOHC like the one you described, you'll need a modified engine mount for the passenger side, and you might need other things, but I'll let someone else verify that. The B6 I have is a B6-ME out of a Mx3. Its a SOHC so I'm not sure about the DOHC implications, though there are plenty of threads out there if you search the site for them.

You can get a B6 from quite a few cars. Protege, 323, and the mx3 all have SOHC versions of the B6.

Here's for reference on Mazda B engines:
        1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
        1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
        2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Hey Top,
          I have a Dohc B6t in my daily driver. The install was fairly straight forward, but the wiring involved was easy but for a novice may have been a stumbling block..... There are swap guides for the Dohc swap and they all point out the wiring etc that is necessary You will need the ecu from the donor car and a most of the main wiring harness, they are different..... There is light fabrication work needed for the passenger side engine mount, but also laid out pretty well in the swap guides in the stickies on this site. Everything else bolts in.

On the other hand the Sohc B6 swap from any of the other above mentioned cars would be like putting another stock B3 in Same passenger side mount and all, they can be run with the stock ECM, same injectors and sensors, just swap over the parts from your engine to the donor then drop it back in place.

The swap from auto to stick is easiest done with those parts form a donor car. All the holes and everything are already stamped where they need to be just add the correct parts and you are done. You will want to get the shifter, bars to trans, trans, both axles and the pedal assembly from your donor Festiva.......

Good Luck.
          Last edited by red90festyonair; 10-01-2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

thanks guys lots of info I will look into a sohc b6 and maybe look at pick a parts for a manual tranny assembly

Comment

would the singe cam b6 have any problems passing smog?

Comment

Not that I would think.... They pass smog in their original cars..... I had no problems getting mine sniffed when mine was done earlier this year.

Comment

Working...
                X