Rekeying locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rekeying locks

Anyone have success rekeying locks ?From my understand i need to pop the outer chrome cover off.The one i tried i trashed so i am in search of finding the right way if it exists.

I recommend just buying a complete set of new locks from Four Green.
    The lock covers are permanently crimped on and are not meant to be serviced.

Comment

Thanks, it did appear that way but wanted to take a run at them.Just a bunch of random ones lying around and i dont like to throw anything Festy related out but into the junk pile they go lol.

Comment

Have not rekeyed a festy.Done lots of vws probably 75 or so when I worked at the dealership because the drivers door handles always broke and the new handles had different keys.Anyway VWs you remove a c clip from the inner must part of the key and tumbler, push the key and tumbler out of the lock cylinder from the back side.Careful as you push it out as the tumblers will fall out of you don't hold them with your fingers.Once everything is out place the key you want to use into the cylinder look at the cylinder from the side and note which tumblers are sticking up. Juggle tumblers from slot to slot until you have all tumblers flush with cylinder body. If you don, t have enough tumblers of the right length you a can file the long tumblers flush with the key still in place.Filing tumblers isn't ideal because then that particular assembly will work with any key that matches up to the rest of the tumblers.If you have a 5 tumbler lock with 1 filed tumbler than someone who's key is cut the same as your except for that 1 notch their key will work, I seriously doubt enough random people are going to try their key in your car so I wouldn't let that bother me.As for ignition lock cylinder on a vw you have to drill a small hole in the lock cylinder on the sadie at the back and depress a locking tab to pull the tumblers, all this is VW but I am sure the festy would have to be similar disassembly I am sure will be a little different but a cylinder and tumbler assembly mostly all work on the same basic principle, the tumbler that are to tall catch in a groove in the cylinder preventing the kay from turning.
        Last edited by ricko1966; 10-13-2015, 06:12 AM.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

What is four green and how can I buy a lock set from them

Comment

Try this link for the key locks
            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
            "Wenona"-89L parts car
            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Working...
            X