Wheel Bearing Shims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing Shims?

I'm in the middle of redoing my wheel bearings for like the 10th time in 4 years. I did some research and apparently these cars came with wheel bearing shims, and you have to shim the bearing. Does anybody know where I can get these? I called around at all the local parts stores and nobody has them. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Karl G.

The Ford dealer should have them and the tool needed to determine the size shim you need.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I have a pair of stock Festiva hubs that weren't making any noise when I took them off. You can have them for the price of shipping plus $5 for a Cheeseburger for my trouble.
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

Do a search of this site for info on the spacers (aka shims). They come in a set of 32? of varying thicknesses. Selecting the correct one involves a in-lb torque wrench. Most threads on the subject caution not to lose or confuse the spacers when removing the bearings. It's a sadly too common thing for mechanics to omit reinstalling them. The hubs are not precision ground. Instead each gets an appropriately thick shim to make up the difference and the shim must stay with the hub. I painted the shim thickness (it's stamped on the shim) on each of my hubs in case one ever gets lost. Last I heard spacers are available from Kia dealerships.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Do a mock assembly using a ring of solder instead of your missing spacer tighten for preaload just like doing a crush sleave on a GM piniion disassemble the assembly measure the thickness of the solder. any shim you can find that is the same thickness as your crushed solder will work.It does not have to be a festival shim. Could be a pinion shim a wheel bearing spacer from a different car etc. Sorry guys spell check always corrects festiva to festival.Personally if I had time to wait I,d buy the five dollar ones
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
          X