Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there seals associated with Festy rear wheel bearingss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there seals associated with Festy rear wheel bearingss?

I've got a single 89 Festy at a remote site with failing rear wheel bearings (as evidenced by growling sounds from the outboard side when turning at speed). I have new bearings and races with me, but don't recall whether there are seals I should have brought.

Before I start pulling things apart, does anybody know the answer, and, if there are seals, whether I'm likely to be able to re-use the ones that are on the car.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Yes there is a seal. Remove it carefully and you should be able to reuse it. That's assuming it's not damaged
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 10-15-2015, 09:59 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Anybody got part number(s) so I can try to buy new ones before I start?
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Type in 'festiva rear seal' in ebay and you get results from all different brands with their part numbers. Looks like the motorcraft number is BRS-92? But check it yourself, you may wish to cross reference from another brand better depending where your buying it. If you call a parts store they should be able to find it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got proper seals from NAPA. I also bought a pair of new brake drums (only $25 each) to test-fit the seals and bearings before I disable the Festy. If I run into any problems, I suppose I can always ratchet-strap a skateboard to the rear bumper to get more parts!
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

^ little red wagon,,, skate boards are easy stopped by a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
              ^ little red wagon,,, skate boards are easy stopped by a rock.
              Not if ya got 63hp pulling it! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                I got proper seals from NAPA. I also bought a pair of new brake drums (only $25 each) to test-fit the seals and bearings before I disable the Festy. If I run into any problems, I suppose I can always ratchet-strap a skateboard to the rear bumper to get more parts!
                Good! Did you get new shoes for your new drums? They are only like $20 as well.

Comment

Be sure you have new rear axle nuts as they are meant to be a one time use item.Also remember one side is right hand thread the other is left hand thread I think it was passenger side that is left hand thread.
                  30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

The rear nuts are different colours so you can distinquish the reverse thread from the regular threaded nut. I've reused mine. You just have to crimp the edge to make sure they don't turn loose. A hammer and a punch or cold chisel works. The Haynes manual has instructions on how much to tighten them.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                      Be sure you have new rear axle nuts as they are meant to be a one time use item.Also remember one side is right hand thread the other is left hand thread I think it was passenger side that is left hand thread.
                      Oh? So some need to be staked? Mine just have a castle nut and cotter pin. Quite a bit easier.

Comment

I will obviously do a rear brake job when installing the new drums, including fitting a cleaned&lubed handbrake adjuster on each side.

I know about the reverse-thread spindle nuts and to use extreme caution if I should elect to re-use serviceable nuts. I rarely travel w/o things like rear pistons, adjusters, and spindle nuts (for the rear, and loaded calipers for the front) in the trunk.
                        Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-22-2015, 08:08 PM.
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                          The rear nuts are different colours so you can distinquish the reverse thread from the regular threaded nut. I've reused mine. You just have to crimp the edge to make sure they don't turn loose. A hammer and a punch or cold chisel works. The Haynes manual has instructions on how much to tighten them.
                          Green grease right wheel bearings, yellow grease left wheel bearings ? lol if the stake type nuts can be restaked without forming a crack anywhere they hold just as good as new, better really the wear points are already polished so no surfaces to break in and lose a little of the adjustment in the process.

I never noticed the stake type nuts are color coded, I will look for that next time, thanks!!
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I usually reuse the spindle nuts as well. I recently came across Lucas Red and Tacky, seems to work well for grease. Buy Timken bearings. Always. Remember bad struts will break bearings, check those.
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

FWIW ...

In aviation, even non-commercial/puddlehoppers, staked nuts are unheard of. Even re-using an elastic/nylon insert "stop" nut, or using one on anything that rotates even a few degrees, is verboten. Good mechanics won't even re-use a "star" type lock washer. Copper washers (under spark plugs), cotter pins, and numerous other types of fasteners are never re-used.
                              88L black, dailydriver
                              4 88/89 disassembled
                              91L green
                              91GL aqua pwrsteer
                              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
                              X