I have been smelling gas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been smelling gas.

Today I look under the hood and this thing which is about 8 inches below the brake booster and master cylinder has liquid all around it. Is this the fuel filter? I think it where I smell the gas coming from. Unless the smell's coming from somewhere else.

Black '89 Ford Festiva L with 4 Speed Manual Transmission

sounds like the filter. the one on the one i have now was almost rusted through when i got it - very possible leak area.
    91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
    93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
    1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
    1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

I'm having trouble getting to it. is underneath a better way to get to it.

Comment

never tried from below.
        91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
        93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
        1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
        1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

Well I got the fuel hose/line that goes from the carb to the filter off and gas kept on spurting out of the fuel filter and wouldn't stop. So I put the hose back onto it. Is it normal for it to do that? How long would it have spurted out gas? I left the hose off for about 30 seconds and it kept spurting gas. Not a high pressure spurt but like a slow low pressure kind.

Comment

Are you sure it's not your charcoal canister that is full of gas ,and leaking out .
            When you disconnect the lines off of the fuel filter ,gravity will take over and fuel will run out ,even more if you have a full tank of gas .
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
              Are you sure it's not your charcoal canister that is full of gas ,and leaking out .
              When you disconnect the lines off of the fuel filter ,gravity will take over and fuel will run out ,even more if you have a full tank of gas .
              So how should I stop the gas from leaking out? I'm going to replace the filter anyways since I bought a new filter anyways.

About the charcoal canister, where is it located? There was some liquid around the ends of the fuel lines coming from the fuel filter. It could be the brake fluid from the faulty master cylinder I NEED to get around to. If it is the charcoal canister how can I go about dealing with it?

Comment

pinch it off with vice grips as for the charcoal canister its located not too far for the fuel filter toward the coolant reservoir tank about 5-6 inches in diameter 2 hoses coming off of it
                ---------------------------------------------------
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                ---------------------------------------------------
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

i had a problem like this and it turned out that my fuel pump was leaking fuel from bottom side of the fuel pump. the diaphram i guess was worn out and was leaking leaking a very small amount of fuel to where i could smell it--jeremie

Comment

Working...
                  X