Charging issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging issues

Hi, I am new here and need some help. I recently picked up a 1988 Festiva L (1.3ltr, 4cyl, manual) and it has charging issues primarily. The previous owner says he replaced the alternator and coil pack, but it still discharges the battery. I changed spark plugs this weekend and did a basic oil change and fuel filter change.
    This car will start but dies when put into gear, or idles very high if the lights are switched on.

Could it be the voltage regulator? AND Is it located on the firewall or inside the alternator itself?
    I don't know much about cars and try to start small and work my way up. This is an awesome little car and I want to get it into better running condition before the snows start.

Please Help
    Chris

Look the wiring over for signs of previous repair, butt connectors under tape stuff like that. Most common cause is somebody messing with stuff. On the drivers strut housing is a little box with 3 little wires or 3 fuses. Unplug them if wires , pull them to make sure the wires are not broke inside. If the connectors are loose or dirty fix that and retest. If it has fuses make sure they are good and again, clean connections.

Inside the car check the engine room fuse. Look at the battery wires, both ends.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks, I will let you know what I find!

Comment

Also, grab a multimeter, harbor freight gives them away sometimes, otherwise they are super cheap. Test voltage at the battery engine off and running. Should be a little over 12 charged and engine off, and over AT LEAST 13.7 engine running. Not seeing that 13.7 or more at the battery? There is a wire that runs from the alternator all the way behind the engine to the battery, the biggest one in the loom. It is bolted (I think on carby it still has a nut?) to the back of the alternator, check the voltage with the car up in the air and engine running, be careful not to get anything caught in the moving belts and such! If the voltage is right there, then you have an issue in the wiring, if not, something is up with the alternator, which reminds me, first thing, check to be sure the belt is tight!

It should go without saying that all your terminals should be good and clean!
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
        X