Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking coolant immediately on cold starts only (pics included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay guys, given I could regret not doing the thermostat at the same time I'm going to put off this job for now. I've found a way to buy myself some time, i dont want me problems and have the car needing a tow over a tiny thermostat in the event we knock it loose. Better play it safe I guess.

In the meantime I'll buy the thermostat and o-ring. Anything else I should be getting while I'm at it?
    200,000KM milestone!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the t stat if it's working. The other person that had his leak after t stat replacement probably had a dry rotted original that needed replacing any ways. But that just me.

Comment

Ok thanks William. A friend just told me the same thing. So confused lol. I think I'll just go ahead and do it today after all. The only hurdle will be not having the correct o-ring but I'm hoping the mechanic will have one that'll do the job. Would suck to come unstuck over a $1 part.
        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

I would leave the thermostat as well. Unless maybe if you get a mazda or ford one. I have had so much trouble with stants not working brand new. Buy a thermostat and gasket and put them in your glovebox. Keep a jug of distilled water in the spare tire well. Its an easy roadside fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay I took the car to the work shop, we spoke about this o-ring and decided to put the job off until I can get the genuine part. He wasn't confident he'd have one to fit properly and didn't know if it's a generic ring or something special.

One thing I noticed. Last night I dumped the radiator (60% of the total volume) and replaced with demineralized water - just being a cheapskate trying to save some coolant I had only just done 2 weeks ago (it was expensive 5yr stuff).... Anyway this morning not a drop at all. Could less coolant concentration influence the ability to work its way out of small gaps? Or have I lost my mind now?

And to the comment above, I always carry demineralized water in the car but I'll take your advice on board and carry a thermo too, good idea.
            Last edited by Click_It; 10-29-2015, 04:28 PM.
            200,000KM milestone!

Comment

I'm going to start the car every morning for the next few days to see if I can recreate the leak. It's totally vanished since diluting the coolant with distilled water. Sounds crazy but the only explanation I can come up with is coolant is slippery stuff, so when it was over concentrated (about 70%) maybe that made it easier to get past the O-ring. And it's currently diluted back to 20-30%, not a problem. If the problem doesn't return I'll increase the mixture back to around 50/50.

In the mean time I've ordered everything. Just don't feel like rushing to fix it if the leak doesn't return - then fix it in my own time after I've moved houses... Weird Festiva problems :/
              Last edited by Click_It; 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM.
              200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Pure antifreeze always finds leaks. It's like penetrating fluid.

I ran straight water all summer, the switched to mixed, sheet!! I had like 7 hose leaks and 2 pin holes in the tanks.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Jason, now I don't feel so crazy. I mentioned this theory to the workshop twice and they thought I was nuts . Though maybe they just saw $$ in my predicament.

2 cold starts now and not a drop. If this continues II think I dodged a bullet. I've still ordered the parts incase it decides to return.

I figured I was running 70% before, maybe more. back to about 25% now so I'll add bit by bit. Somewhere between 30-50 is probably enough. I've noticed cooling ability is worse over 50% anyway and freezing isn't an issue in my climate.
                  200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
                  X