Knuckle/driveshaft install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckle/driveshaft install question

Just swapped out my Aspire driver side knuckle for one with a good set of bearings. Everything is tightened down properly. But now I have rather alarming torque steer when either hitting or letting off the gas.

Diagnosis: I didn't pull the driveshaft thru enough, and it has adversely affected handling. I tightened the axle nut to 140 ft lbs and staked it, but I'm thinking I needed to somehow draw it thru more, then tighten it down. I guess I could take the other wheel off and see how many threads are showing outside the nut, as a reference.

Do I just put a cheater bar on there and tighten it down as far as it will go, to pull the axle thru? Then go back and torque it properly?
    Last edited by TominMO; 11-02-2015, 01:57 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

The other thing to look for, I guess, is whether the tie rod end is as tight as I thought it was. I didn't adjust it at all, just removed it from the knuckle. I'll check it out tmw.
    Last edited by TominMO; 11-02-2015, 02:47 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I would guess that if the problem is the axle is not completely seated in the hub then tightening the nut further won't do any good. What makes you think that it's not completely seated? Are you sure the bearings were good in the hub you installed?

Comment

Originally posted by jbibb1 View Post
        I would guess that if the problem is the axle is not completely seated in the hub then tightening the nut further won't do any good. What makes you think that it's not completely seated? Are you sure the bearings were good in the hub you installed?
        Bearings are good; no sound at all when rotating, and clean-looking grease; the old ones were quite noisy. I was first-guessing it was not seated due to the problem, but after thinking about it I wonder if the tie rod end's nut is not sufficiently screwed on. I will check both possibilities tmw; and compare the # of threads showing to the untouched pass. side axle.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Sounds suspiciously like your alignment is out.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
            Sounds suspiciously like your alignment is out.
            Didn't touch the alignment, and it was fine before.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

The culprit is always the loose...

Maybe the knuckle is a hair different and the alignment got changed on you..
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                The culprit is always the loose...

Maybe the knuckle is a hair different and the alignment got changed on you..

I have wondered about that before. I swapped a knuckle into a guys car not long ago, and it did affect the toe. Shocked me to no end.

Comment

Knuckle was worn out where ball joint post goes up into.

I had a set rebuilt and ready to go. One day replaced both. Had same issue. Further investigation discovered one Knuckle was borked.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Comment

Just picked these up, after seeing them in use by Advancedynamix at Madness, they make checking toe alignment EZPZ.

Comment

all you need for an alignment is a 17mm wrench, a pair of vise grips and about 5 minutes. eyeball it, then drive a 1000 mile round trip(to madness). if its not that scary, the alignment is fine. LOL
                      Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Along with the thread count on the other axle, and the tightness of the tie rod end nut, I will check the alignment. I did eyeball it after driving about 1/2 mile, and it looked normal. Just kept driving (10 mile round trip) and dealt with it. Hopefully I will know more tmw.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

IMO you dont have a tight fit at the Ball Joint to Knuckle. This is crucial,even the smallest amount of movement transfers into loss of stability. Get in there with a prybar and look for some play. And also make sure the pinch bolt isnt stretching or has threads that are stripping.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

OK, some info:
                            1. I compared the pass. side driveshaft to the driver's side, and found them to be the same--no threads showing past the nut on either one.
                            2. Also checked the two tie rod ends. The pass. side had four threads showing below the nut, and the driver's side had only two. Tightened up the driver's side.
                            3. Went for a drive. Felt significantly less squirrely when punching it then quickly letting off the gas. Still dives to the left on hard acceleration in 2nd, and still dives to the right when letting off. But it felt much more manageable. So one part might have been the tie rod being slightly loose.
                            4. Re-aligned the car to perfectly parallel tires. Still dives a bit, but I think this helped too.
                            5. I also did a simple camber check, using a level. Seemed like the bubble was a little off compared to the right side.
                            6. Now I have to do the right side knuckle replacement, using the knuckle that came off the same JY car as the left one. I wonder if they are matched pairs or something?
                            7. BTW nitrofarm, the pinch bolt was done right; I double-checked it.

I'm thinking about getting camber bolts for the bottom of the strut, and seeing what I can accomplish that way.
                            Last edited by TominMO; 11-03-2015, 01:03 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                              Just picked these up, after seeing them in use by Advancedynamix at Madness, they make checking toe alignment EZPZ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261580019225...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                              Took me a while to figure out how they worked. That does sound easy. Seems like you could do the same with a pair of straight (unbowed) 1x6 boards tho. Slots could be sawed into them for the tape measures. I think I will try that. These are no doubt more convenient and nice to have tho.

As long as I am driving normally, there is no major swerve left or right related to torque steer. It's quite manageable and does not feel unsafe, just have to be aware of this "feature" and correct for it.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 11-03-2015, 05:50 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X