Had an alignment done on Wednesday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had an alignment done on Wednesday...

I picked up the car and drove to work. Noticed the car was better but still drifted to the left and I had to hold the steering wheel to the right of 12 o'clock position to keep the car straight. So I called them and they said they would "take another shot at it".
    Dropped it off last night and picked it up today. Its to windy today as I drove home or anywhere to see if it was any better but here is the print out they gave me. I don't know what it all means and was hoping some of you who know could tell me what yous see. Thanks.
    Last edited by jimdigs; 11-13-2015, 02:12 PM.

If it continues try rotating the front tires side-to-side. That has worked for me.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I had mine aligned one time and they said it was all in spec. Just as you have, I had a rather severe pull. It was indeed a "tire pull" as they suggested. New one on me. All tires matched and weren't bad tread-wise but were old. All my Festivas now roll on original equipment 145/r12 Yokohama brand tires.
      '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
      '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
      '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
      '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
      '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
      '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
      '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

My two front tires are brand new Yokohama as well, thats why I don't understand why it still veers lefts and the steering wheel is a little past the 12 o'clock position to keep it going straight down the road. Could it be something with my back tires?

Comment

Also check the sliders on the brakes for rust and dirt.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Check the rear wheels (bearings) for slop. I had my right rear with a mere 1/16" play at the tire. When I tightened it up a bit (about 5 degrees turn on the spindle nut), the slight slde pull I was experiencing at freeway speeds went away.
            88L black, dailydriver
            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg
            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

What are sliders? Is this on the back brakes?

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                Check the rear wheels (bearings) for slop. I had my right rear with a mere 1/16" play at the tire. When I tightened it up a bit (about 5 degrees turn on the spindle nut), the slight slde pull I was experiencing at freeway speeds went away.
                I'll check into that, thanks.

Comment

Um, the front brake pads slide back and forth on pins which can get dirty, rusted, and stick. Sliders is the technical term. I don't know the common name for them.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                    Um, the front brake pads slide back and forth on pins which can get dirty, rusted, and stick. Sliders is the technical term. I don't know the common name for them.
                    Ok, I thought that was what you were talking about but didn't know for sure. Thanks.

I checked my rear wheel spindle nuts and they seem fine. I have had wheel bearings ready to put on my rear passenger side because when I spin each tire at the same time the passenger side always quit spinning a lot earlier than the other. So today while checking the spindle nuts I decided it was a good time to put the bearings on plus it was nice out today here in Michigan. Anyway, I put em on and check the spin and it still stops way earlier than the other side. Why would this be?
                    Last edited by jimdigs; 11-14-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
                      Ok, I thought that was what you were talking about but didn't know for sure. Thanks.

I checked my rear wheel spindle nuts and they seem fine. I have had wheel bearings ready to put on my rear passenger side because when I spin each tire at the same time the passenger side always quit spinning a lot earlier than the other. So today while checking the spindle nuts I decided it was a good time to put the bearings on plus it was nice out today here in Michigan. Anyway, I put em on and check the spin and it still stops way earlier than the other side. Why would this be?
                      Brake drag, or spindle nut slightly too tight; most likely one of these.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You can always - at least temporarily- compensate by varying the air pressure in the tires. When I've had leaning problems, it has usually been when a tire has ebbed pressure more than the other side anyway- but if you just had it in- probably not that, huh?

below- first car- 49 willys wagon- $220 circa 1970
                        Last edited by harpon; 11-14-2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Most excellent.
                          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Brake not releasing?

Comment

Working...
                            X