Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Festiva Front Strut question

Hello everyone!
    I'm looking for info about front struts on a Festiva.My dad has a 93 he's owned since almost new,he loves it.
    He had new front struts put on it and ever since it's steering is harder to turn.It's a manual steering car.
    He had a friend at a local garage tear it back apart,he seems to think there's something missing a bearing or collar or something etc.. wasn't put back in during reassembly.
    He gave us a exploded view diagram to show the missing part in question.
    I've never had it apart,so I'm hoping someone can tell me or show me pics of one taken apart and the order of the parts that go into putting one back together.
    Thank you!

here's the diagram he gave us and says the circled parts are missing....is this correct?
    please provide pics and info if possible

festiva missing bearing.jpg

I don't remember there being a bearing when I replaced my Festy mounts. All I remember seeing was a washer. Maybe they were missing on mine, too.

That being said, I recommend replacing them with 02 Kia Rio strut mounts if you've got a junkyard close by with them. Makes steering easier and its quite simple to replace. Your dad won't regret it. I got mine from a local yard for $7/ea. If you don't want to go that route, you could try greasing the washer in the mount and see if that helps at all.
    Last edited by TWFodor; 11-19-2015, 01:42 PM.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Yes there is a plastic bearing in the stock mounts.
      The '01-'02 KIA RIO top hats/mounts have a actual bearing in them.
      They are a little larger than stock Festive mounts because the Rio struts are a little biger.
      Go on RockAuto & order 2 new top mounts.
      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I just did the 2002 Kia Rio swap over. A very noticeable difference in the steering, I am pleased with the results, I think it was worth the $$$$$$.

Where are you located?
        Last edited by bolokid; 11-19-2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

The mechanic is probably right. The plastic washer is the bearing, and was probably left out. I'm sure someone on here could just stick two in an envelope and mail it to you. I'd take it back to the place that installed the struts and make them do them again.

This is why it's better to do stuff yourself. It gets done right, and cheaper. Often, buying any extra tools (like spring compressors) is cheaper than the labor charge for the job. Grease the bearing, then install.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            The mechanic is probably right. The plastic washer is the bearing, and was probably left out. I'm sure someone on here could just stick two in an envelope and mail it to you. I'd take it back to the place that installed the struts and make them do them again.

This is why it's better to do stuff yourself. It gets done right, and cheaper. Often, buying any extra tools (like spring compressors) is cheaper than the labor charge for the job. Grease the bearing, then install.
            if you or someone else on here has them,let me know,I'll buy them and give it a try
            thank you!

here's dads 93 Festiva
            festiva 5-6-15.jpg

Comment

are these the bearings in this picture.Excuse my lack of knowledge on these cars,I've never tore into one,,,,,,yet1-festiva.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                are these the bearings in this picture.Excuse my lack of knowledge on these cars,I've never tore into one,,,,,,yet
                Yep that's it. Rock Auto sells 'em separately, for $2.05. I'd go that route unless someone can/will send you two.
                Last edited by TominMO; 11-20-2015, 02:37 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thank you! I just ordered 2 from Rock Auto.
                  It only requires 1 per side??

Comment

Yes, 1 per side inside the strut mount I believe. Don't forget to install the metal washer also.

I bought 2 mounts a few months back, 1 strut mount came with a cracked plastic bearing. I still installed it knowing that but I will take em both off & swap them for rio mounts
                    Originally posted by BSR View Post
                    Thank you! I just ordered 2 from Rock Auto.
                    It only requires 1 per side??

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
                    sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

Working...
                    X