X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont start

We have changed out fuel pumps relays fuses and nothing. Acts like it wants
    to start just won't. We have two of them and both have similar problems.We
    checked timing distributor even removed the exhaust cause we thought that it
    was starving for air. We know a lot about this car and have no clue where to
    go with the troubleshooting now

Is it getting good gas and spark?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

As Wm said, is the spark plugs getting spark. If not, could be distributor, coil, etc.
      Last edited by milehighbear; 11-21-2015, 04:50 PM.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Is the button on the inertia switch down?

Comment

where in tn are you?

Comment

Will it start on starting fluid. Yes,problem is fuel related check fuel pressure , good fuel pressure check injector signal and injectors. No check for power to pump,pump and filter.Won't start on starting fluid, does it have spark,yes, check compression. No spark, is the distributor turning?No,check timing belt.yes check for power to coil,got power,test coil and pickup coil. Those are the basics
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

So you've changed 1. the Fuel pump, 2. relays and 3. fuses

Is that correct? Was it starting before that?

Makes an argument as to keeping the variables down when replacing a number of things related-

for example- replace just the fuel pump and try that first

then the fuses and relays aren't involved, etc. Then replace the relays and test start again

don't know what to tell ya- it was starting before you replaced those right?

probably one of those components maybe not grounding or making contact somehow or reverse polarity or faulty component-
              try the old ones in reverse order.

I wouldn't get into injectors or any other thing yet. Maybe try to start on starting fluid as suggested.
              Last edited by harpon; 11-22-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

First of all I wouldnt have changed anything until I had determined what was wrong.Second if it does have fuel pressure than the next thing to check would be injector signal.If you have fuel pressure and no injector signal you can put 35 pumps and 13 relays in it and it still won't run.If it does not have spark it will not start if the distributor is not turning it will not start.If it doesn't have compression it will not start.If it is out of ignition or mechanical time it will not start.When they get tied to my shop first thing.
                30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

thanks for all of your input on this matter.. i have worked and owned these cars since 1995.. I HAVE CHECKED TIMING,SPARK,FUEL PRESSURE,TPS,MASS AIR FLOW, WIRING, RELAYS,EXHAUST, AND CANT FIND THE PROBLEM.. SO I GOT FRUSTRATED AND CHANGED,DISTRIBUTOR, MASS AIR FLOW METER,COIL,IGNTION MODULE,COMPUTER.. STILL NOTHING...... SHE WILL TURN OVER BUT WILL NOT FIRE UP.. PULLED PLUGS OUT AND THEY ARE FLOODED.. DRYED OUT PLUGS SHE WILL START FOR 1 SECOND THEN FLOOD HER SELF OUT.. PLEASE HELP.. I HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH TO OF MY 6 FESTIVAS... OH AND I AM IN NASHVILLE.. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME

Comment

Seen this kind of problem before what I usually do is disable the fuel pump then try to start it. If it starts and dies enable the pump.Cranks and floods? Disable the pump.Starts and runs? Check for stuck or leaking injectors and all of the fuel enrichment circuit.Many times a temp sensor will go bad and the car thinks it is negative 40 degrees and riche a the mixture to the point the car won't run,stuck injectors will do the same thing. I would still check injector pulse to make sure they are getting correct signal.

Comment

Working...
                    X