Clutch Start Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Start Switch

i thought it was called a safety neutral switch.Anyway i have a 90 festiva manual 5 speed. lately when i push in the clutch it takes it takes a few seconds for it to crank, (a delayed reaction) but it will start. I haven't checked it out yet but was wondering if anyone has had a simular issue with these switches. I don't think I seen anything on this forum about them. Does it need to be adjusted or could the switch be going bad? i tried searching but didn't find anything. Can these switches be found at most auto parts stores, or is this a hard to find part? If the switch does go bad I can still start the car by poping the clutch, right?

Rich

You can still pop the clutch and start it. Sounds like the switch is sticking spray it with brake cleaner. Any clutch safety switch I ever saw was 2 prong normally open switch if you put a bent paper clip in the back side of the connector the car will always crank clutch in or clutch out bypass the switch as I said if the problem is gone by a new switch or remember to push in the clutch before cranking.Most of the cars I've owned never had a clutch switch when they were built.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Correct. It is not good to forget to push the clutch in when parked facing another car in a parking lot. Just post a WTB in the want to buy thread.

Comment

Garage mechanics have a bad habit of parking a car in gear. I never do so most times I went to pick up my car the car would lurch. Don't have that problem with the Festiva.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I always park mine in gear.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Thanks, I"ll try the brake cleaner.Anyone know if the switch can be bought at most auto parts store?

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by rmp2711 View Post
              i thought it was called a safety neutral switch.Anyway i have a 90 festiva manual 5 speed. lately when i push in the clutch it takes it takes a few seconds for it to crank, (a delayed reaction) but it will start. I haven't checked it out yet but was wondering if anyone has had a simular issue with these switches. I don't think I seen anything on this forum about them. Does it need to be adjusted or could the switch be going bad? i tried searching but didn't find anything. Can these switches be found at most auto parts stores, or is this a hard to find part? If the switch does go bad I can still start the car by poping the clutch, right?

Rich
              What do you mean by asking if you could still start it by popping the clutch? Do you mean roll start it? If so then yes.

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              Garage mechanics have a bad habit of parking a car in gear. I never do so most times I went to pick up my car the car would lurch. Don't have that problem with the Festiva.
              I would rather my park brake cable didnt freeze so i always just leave it in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah that's what i meant.Thanks.

Comment

The festivas are easy to roll start by yourself with one foot on the clutch and one foot out the door.
                  With that switch- have you looked at it yet? Is it loose, corroded, burnt? Do you have an auto wrecker nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the parking brake isn't used the clevis pins at the back are more likely to rust and then it can't be used if needed. Happened to me so after replacing the pins I started using the parking brake and not leaving it in gear when parked. One way of keeping things from rusting solid is to use them, ie keep them moving.

The switch is on the floor under the clutch pedal lever. Should be easy to spray with penetrant or replace if you can find a new one. Four Green seems to have Festiva/Pride specific parts at reasonable prices but you do have to pay shipping. My sway bar bushings came quickly all the way from Korea by FedEx.
                    Last edited by WmWatt; 11-23-2015, 09:40 PM.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Spray it with brake clean.Brake clean will also clean the contacts.Penetrant isn't good for plastic and will not clean the electrical contacts it also will cause more problems as dirt and dust stick to the petroleum base.Carb cleaner is to hot of solvent and will make the plastic soft.Electrcal contact cleaner would actually be best but most expensive and not as many other uses as brake clean.I would use brake clean.
                      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                      X