Horn solenoid wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn solenoid wiring

My horn quit working after i had an electrical fire. I would like to re-wire it so it works until i get a new wiring harness if i do that. I dont see the horn wiring anywhere in my Haynes manual. So could anyone tell me what each of the wires are on the solenoid? (As in where each colour of wire goes). Then i can re-wire it using that same solenoid. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryan, you really need a EVTM. This is for CARB wiring. This is for INJ wiring.

I have two horn solenoids (different horns for different sounds). One for my steering wheel button, and the other for my Viper. You can see the power wires (green/white) for the high and low voltage sides. The other ones go to the horn (green/red) and to ground (green).

I also recommend that you get an assortment of open barrel terminals from Eastern Beaver.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-03-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      ryan, you really need a EVTM. This is for CARB wiring. This is for INJ wiring.

I have two horn solenoids (different horns for different sounds). One for my steering wheel button, and the other for my Viper. You can see the power wires (green/white) for the high and low voltage sides. The other ones go to the horn (green/red) and to ground (green).

I also recommend that you get an assortment of open barrel terminals from Eastern Beaver.
      Now that would be a cool book to have
      Thanks for the link! My phone wont let me zoom far enough in to see the diagrams so i will try and get a computer after work tomorrow and then fix it.
      From your photo i am not sure how your 2 solenoids work, but thats ok, i have 2 as well, but the solenoid for my air horn is hooked up in the engine bay by my regular horn. Which is mounted on my strut tower now
      Those terminals are what i call blade terminals, but i have them and bullet connecters and butt connecters and all kinds of stuff. mostly from princess auto. Any reason you recommend that one place?
      Thanks again for the diagrams! I appreciate that a lot.

Comment

The terminals are brass and are exactly the same as the factory ones. Open barrel terminals are designed to curl back down and into the center of the stranded wires to provide a superior grip to closed barrel terminals from Princess Auto, etc. The second set of tangs grip the plastic insulation. They also have the slots that lock into the factory connectors. If you have a terminal extractor, you only need to buy the terminals. I get any connectors I need from the junk yard. They just give them to me, because they don't understand what I am going to do with them.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 12-04-2015, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          The terminals are brass and are exactly the same as the factory ones. Open barrel terminals are designed to curl back down and into the center of the stranded wires to provide a superior grip to closed barrel terminals from Princess Auto, etc. The second set of tangs grip the plastic insulation. They also have the slots that lock into the factory connectors. If you have a terminal extractor, you only need to buy the terminals. I get any connectors I need from the junk yard. They just give them to me, because they don't understand what I am going to do with them.
          Oh, thats cool. Im going to do my horn wiring with what i have and hopefully thats all i have to do. If i need to do anything else i think i will order those though. That sounds nice.
          I printed off that wiring diagram- so nice to have
          I also did the math on my festiva. I keep track of every penny i spend on my cars and add it all up once or twice a year. Just did that today. I have a 2003 civic automatic sitting in the yard as a backup car and not being driven. To park my festiva and start driving my wifes car and she start driving the 03 civic would cost over $1500/year more than to keep fixing this festiva. Between the extra fuel, maintenance and insurance costs. So i think ill just keep fixing away :/ its crazy how much cheaper these festivas are to drive.

Comment

Working...
          X