Intermittent CEL 93 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent CEL 93 Festiva

So i have my major problems sorted, but i still have a slight bucking if i am at around half throttle for longer then a few seconds and sometimes slight power loss at random times during acceleration.

I can deal with it, but i want this car to run perfect

Less then 100km on:
    Wires
    Plugs
    Cap
    Rotor
    ECT
    VAF
    Fuel Filter
    Fuel Pump
    Pump Sock

TSRM suggests TPS or o2 sensor but i want to get your guys advice before i proceed
    Originally posted by bhearts
    What is one man's trash is a festiva owners upgrade. Lol

Check for air leaks on your intake tube.
    Last edited by David88; 12-10-2015, 12:18 AM.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
      Check for air leaks on your intake tube.
      Done, no vac leaks, problem is intermittent not constant like a vac leak

Comment

I would test the o2 sensor and tips before replacing them.Leaks in an intake boot are not always constant, more often the boots get cracks that only open up at certain times like decel in gear or accelerating and are just fine sitting in the drive way idling.Try squeezing the boot in several places while idling and listen for Chang in idle.I have also seen wiring issues where a wire shorts only at highway speed with enough air to push the harness to ground or when the engine rocks on the motor mounts.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

^^ Good tips on subtle problems, ricko.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ignition coil breaking down or ignition control module can make those type symptoms.

Comment

Also look at the inside of the coil, where the disty wire plugs in. It can get corroded in there, and you lose the good connection. It will be intermittent at random times, then fail completely when it gets sufficiently corroded.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by helli View Post
                Ignition coil breaking down or ignition control module can make those type symptoms.
                hmm, where is the ICM/ICU on the festiva? might pick some up from the local jy
                Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                Also look at the inside of the coil, where the disty wire plugs in. It can get corroded in there, and you lose the good connection. It will be intermittent at random times, then fail completely when it gets sufficiently corroded.
                Clean as a whistle in there

So my CEL flashes and sometimes stays on when this happens, multiple times during a trip but doesn't store any codes? where is OBD1 when you need him, on vacation.

Comment

Working...
                X