Sticky ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky ignition

So it seems that the ignition on my 89 festy is getting kinda sticky. Like when I turn the key to start the car, it wants to stay in the starting position and not move itself back. Can I just use some powdered graphite to loosen it up or is it possible to switch the ignition cylinder? Will a generic one work from autozone? Any help would be appreciated.

I spray WD-40 into the keyhole and put the key in and move it around. Contact cleaner should also work. I think graphite would lubricate but not clean. WD-40 also disperses moisture. Good luck.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I have heard that WD-40 will eventually gum up the cylinder. Ideally I would like to just replace the thing, but I don't know if it is a generic component or not.

Comment

Natural, the spring that is sticking is in the switch that the wires are attached.
        If you remove the screw that holds it to the ignition key cylinder, you will discover a slot that you can insert a screwdriver into to test. Separate it to determine if that is the case. If so, then spraying wire dressing number forty into the keyhole will do absolutely nothing at all.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 12-12-2015, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Key and tumblers as a result if constant turning and rubbing fi with tiny brass scrapping remove the cylinder bang it on a hard surface a couple of times spray with brake cleaner bang a couple more times goal is to clean the cylinder.Use brake clean or rubbing alcohol not penetrating oils the petroleum gums up with more shavings,dirt,dust,etc.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
          X