Shifter driving me nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter driving me nuts!

I've been hearing a rattle in my '89 that I could have sworn was in the dash. Usually does it most when I let off of the gas and coast down a hill or just slowing down. The other day it did it and I happened to put my hand on the shifter. The noise changed and when I grabbed it harder the rattle went away. It has a $10 civic short throw that has been in it for years. I love it and until recently it has worked perfectly. Anybody have any ideas what to check for? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but will this weekend. Sounds like it might be tough to quiet down. Bushings seem to be in good shape. Will probably check bolts for tightness first. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

People have had problems with the floor mount rusting or wearing out. Various solutions have been posted here. Worn bushings should cause excessive play and in my case problems getting over far enough to shift into 1st gear.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

shifter.pdf

Comment

Thanks Brave, I ordered some bushings.

Comment

I personally prefer Corksport bronzoil bushings in combination with a nyloc nut to keep them in place.

Comment

They are pretty sexy!

Comment

I made my own by slipping a sleeve made from copper pipe over the bolt and cutting rubber washers from bicycle inner tubes for the ends. Interesting but probably not worth the effort.
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
              Last edited by WmWatt; 12-23-2015, 12:19 PM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I hope the bushings fix it. It doesn't have much play at all and works perfectly. Hasn't ever fallen through the floor either. The only problem at all is the vibratey noise it makes. I will get under there and check things out this weekend. Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

Working...
                X