91 festiva crank no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 festiva crank no start

I just bought a 91 festival will not start previous owner said (fuel pump is bad) well it won't even start with either, so I have checked everything (I think).
    -has spark
    -seems to be getting plenty of air
    -compression ratings (left to right) 149psi, 90psi, 152psi, 150psi
    Will 1 cyl only having 90psi cause it not to start?

It should run with those numbers although it may run poorly. Spray a little starting fluid into the intake and see if it starts. Make sure the VAF wire is connected and all intake hoses are leak free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

I have tried it and nothing, what is the vaf wire?

Comment

The VAF is the vane air flow sensor that measures and meters intake air. Your engine will not run without it working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
          The VAF is the vane air flow sensor that measures and meters intake air. Your engine will not run without it working properly.

I'm going to go try that now, will it start if I unplug it? Or how can I test it?

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Most of the time the engine will not run if the VAF is unplugged. I did have one VAF that was bad that would only run unplugged in Limp mode. Did it crank with starter fluid?

Comment

If you are in fact getting spark at the plugs, fuel to the intake, acceptable compression and the engine will not even crank....the only thing left is timing. Your timing belt may have jumped a tooth.

Comment

If you ever want to look into that low comression it might be carbon buildup on the exhaust valve. Happened to me. Way to check is to remove valve cover, turn it over, and look for soot on underside of cover over suspect valve. If so way to fix is with chemical. I did the one in the oil just before changing. Low comression could be other things but this one is the cheapest to fix, as far as I know which, admittedly, is not far.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, But I think it may be the cps in the dizzy an the rigged up wiring that goes to it because I was messing with it and I started getting more "pops" out of the exhaust like it was trying. The previous owner said " his kids were playing in it while he was at work and when he got home the key had been left on and the battery was dead, when he tried to jump it wouldn't start and hasn't started sence, that's kinda why I think it's electrical and not timming

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure terminal link in the fuse bank under hood is good and contacts free of corrosion.The one of the 3 toward the passengers side is engine control.Make sure terminals in the cap look good and cap is dry.Clean and regap plugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X