Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper Linkage Bushings?

Anyone know of any that will work?

The one where the motor meets the transmission is completely missing, causing allot of slop.

For the time being, I will pull the one from the low mileage parts car I have, that one seems to be intact, but who know for how much longer after being 27 years old.

I may be beating a dead horse by asking this, because I was sure people have said you can't find them anywhere, but there has GOT to be something besides replacing the entire wiper transmission.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Good luck. Most of the ones I've tried to pull at the junkyards, just fall apart. The plastic ball joints fail due to lack of grease. Next time I'm at the yard, I'll take one to experiment on. I will check if another one that fits is available. At the least, I will give you the dimensions for the ball size + hole tsize that the cup presses into.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-27-2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the plastic was extremely brittle and it shattered into pieces when I tried to remove it from the parts car. :/

Gotta thank Kia for using some oddball bushing that nobody else uses. I tried ebay searching random bushings and NOTHING I see comes close.

Now I am having a hell of a time trying to get the metal pivot peice back on in the right position, because I was dumb and removed it.

Comment

KKY0167380

If you are going to order one, PM me. Maybe I can help take the sting out of the shipping for you.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 12-27-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Along the lines of plastic getting brittle with age, I find that cold makes the problem worse, e.g. white Molex-brand electrical connectors. I no longer touch them except in summer, else they just shatter.

I'm even afraid to replace a headlight bulb which is burned out on the high-beam circuit, since those multi-finger black quarter-turn bulb retainers are likely to lose a bunch of fingers if I touch them in the cold. Is that the kind of part which could be 3D-printed?
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            KKY0167380

If you are going to order one, PM me. Maybe I can help take the sting out of the shipping for you.
            Yeah I did look at that. They are left hand drive there in Korea right? Because I am sure right hand drive cars would have a the transmission mirrored. From the picture it looks like the proper one though.

I'll PM you when I am ready to order one, because i also would like to get a few more things too. I still need to get the window channel pieces, probably the full center console, and maybe some other things too. That is if it not going to be too much hassle for ya. If it is, I will still let you know by PM when I am ready to order.

Definitely going to have to figure out how to break those screws loose without stripping them, I guess if it really comes down to it, I just drill them out, and use some bigger screws from the hardware store.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-28-2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

^ I have installed one of those in my car. It works just fine.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                ^ I have installed one of those in my car. It works just fine.
                Coolio

definitely want it then. $22 plus shipping is a steal. even if I paid full price shipping it would only be like $50, but would take quite a few weeks to arrive.

Comment

Might come sooner than you think. I had 2 orders this year and both came in under 3 weeks, the last in about 2 weeks, and the shipping wasn't as outrageous as I had expected.
                  "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                  "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                  "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                  "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                  "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                  "Wenona"-89L parts car
                  "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Fourgreen shipped my parts FedEX in 2-3 days from some little town in Korea via Alaska, Missouri, and Toronto. I think it was Missouri, somewhere in the mid-west.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I removed the wiper linkage from Rosie to clean it up and one of the plastic caps came out.
                      Been reading these post about it and need to know if there is a way to get it back in and secure it so it will stay.
                      There appears to have been a nylon washer behind it that kept the little feet in the cap spread out but it is worn badly.
                      It cleaned up nicely and still works OK. I really don't want to have to replace the entire linkage.

Comment

Wonder if these would work? (Waited too late to edit and add to my original post).
                        http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FQsvgQodYj4IMg

Comment

While cleaning up the wiper linkage for Rosie, I discovered that the passenger side wiper shaft was almost locked up in it's housing.
                          It would move but it it took a lot of force to move it compared to the left one.
                          I tried spraying PB blaster on both ends of the shaft while working it back and forth but it did'nt get much better. In fact
                          it started marking screeching noise.
                          To fix it I drilled a small hole (shown here) sprayed pb blaster in it and worked it until it loosened up like the left one. Then I sprayed
                          white lithium grease in the hole and worked it some more. So now it works great and doesn't make any noise. The hole is the exact size as the little spray nozzle straw in the PB blaster and Lithium grease spray cans. I'll seal up the hole with come clear silicon before I install it.

Comment

I forgot to take a close up picture of it before I reinstalled the wiper but I did get the wiper arm fixed with one of the bushings
                            that came in the help packet that I got at Auto Zone. It had a groove at the bottom of the bulb part that the ball popped in to.
                            I twisted a piece of stainless steel wire tightly in the groove and it kept it from popping out.
                            here is picture of the assembly after I painted it. The pictures of it installed have been uploaded to my photobucket Rosie project libary.

The bushing that I replaced is on the right in the picture.
                            Last edited by 1990new; 02-17-2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                              KKY0167380

group buy? i'll want in...

Comment

Working...
                              X