Crank no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank no start

It's got a new battery although it sounds like a very weak battery all of the sudden. It wouldn't roll start either. Nor would it start with jumper cables. Help I'm not good at trouble shooting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    93 L plus 5 speed, custom herculined paint job, custom billet grille

Common stuff first:
    Check all vaccume hoses. If one is unplugged from either end or broken it wont start.
    Wire from coil to dist still attached?
    Vaf still plugged in?
    After that check if you have fuel. Then sheck for spark. Then check vaccume and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Checked fuseable links
      Checked vacuum lines
      Checked vaf.. a little oil in there would that cause it not to start?
      Getting fuel
      Getting spark at the plugs.
      What now?

Comment

A little oil in the VAF is a common byproduct of blow by in these engines. The oil in the VAF should not keep your engine from running. If you have fuel and spark during cranking, all that is left is compression and timing. Make sure the timing belt has not jumped by ensuring the crank and cam marks are aligned properly when no. 1 cylinder is at top dead center. At the same, ensure the rotor button is pointing to the no. 1 wire in the dizzy cap. The rotor button can be installed in 3 different positions. 2 of those will not allow the engine to run. Have you checked engine compression? Did you make sure the VAF door is moving freely?

"Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
        “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Door is moving freely. It ran fine last night wouldn't start this morning I wouldn't have thought timing could be off

Comment

Check your dizzy cap and rotor. Take cap off. Clean the contacts really good. Make sure its dry. Put it back together and try it. Mine will want to not start ever so often. Im down to just hitting the car with a wrench. I need to just change the darn thing out.

I tap mine a few times and boom she fires right up.
            1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
            1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
            1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
            19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I'll check

Comment

Check the fuel pump shutoff button back in the back. Maybe it tripped.

Comment

Does it catch at all or just turns over without trying to fire? Did you check the fuses in the car too?
                  And did you do anything to the car between shutting it off last night and it not starting today?
                  Crank sensor wire?

Comment

It just turns over without trying. Nope didn't do anything. After it wouldn't start I tried roll starting it.

Comment

Sounds like a cap problem to me. Mine will be running shut it off and sometimes it just wont start back up. Will crank and crank for days but will not fire no mater what. Hit the car or clean it and she starts right but up.
                      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Spark and Fuel without starting, Is it GOOD Blue Snapping Spark? Does it Start to Run then die when you release the key?(this would be an ignition switch) Make sure there isnt a lot of moisture built up in the cap. If your Ignition components are good do what Dale Wilson suggested next. Always eliminate a Jumped Belt right away.Before spending money on plugs, fuel filters wires etc.....
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

You say it was running fine when parked the night before and now suddenly won't fire up. Wondering what could have happened overnight when not running. I'd check the electricals, starting by wiping down the igniton wires, cap, and rotor and perhaps clean the plug gaps themselves. Since you say you changed the battery I'd take off, clean, and reconnect the cables. You say it wouldn't start from a boost so admitedly the cable connection would be unlikely. If the battery is cranking the engine strongly it's not likely the problem. Good luck.
                          Last edited by WmWatt; 12-29-2015, 09:26 AM.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies fellas. It was the distrubutor cap. The electrodes were corroded.

Comment

Working...
                            X