94 aspire help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 aspire help needed

Car was running fine down the road, it died suddenly and hasn't hit a lick sense. I have a full tank of gas, blue spark at plugs, fuel pressure to the intake, fuses check out fine. Timing belt is on and the cam is spinning. Oddly I can not get a check engine light after cranking numerous times. It will not even backfire on starting fluid directly to the intake. What am I missing?

You have a nice spark but it wont catch on starting fluid? I dunno, that sounds impossible, lol :p
    Did you spray the fluid in the extra port on the manifold or where? Only thing i can think of is that you somehow suddenly developed a massive vaccume leak. But that still doesn't really explain not catching with ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have air, fuel and spark, then valve and ignition timing are the only things left to check.

Timing belt jumped a couple of teeth maybe? Since the B3 is a non-interference motor, you would not know from the valves crashing into the pistons that the belt slipped.

Also check that the disty hasn't somehow moved (loose bolts), giving you wrong ignition timing.

Question: have you recently done any work on the car? Might you have done (or not done) something that caused this failure?

Did you check both the fuses under the hood and the Engine fuse in the pass. compartment?

The only other thing I can think of is TPS (throttle position sensor), crankshaft position sensor, or CPS (camshaft position sensor). If the CPS is giving a faulty reading, that would tell the PCM (powertrain control module) to fire the injectors at the wrong time. On 94-95 models, the CPS and the CKPS (crankshaft position sensor) are both located in the disty, and you have to replace the disty itself to fix either faulty sensor--so says my Aspire Chilton manual.

If you disconnected the MAF to spray starting fluid in, I think it wouldn't start anyway because it needs the MAF signal.
      Last edited by TominMO; 01-04-2016, 11:19 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

BTW how many miles on your car? Assuming the disty is original.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Since TominMO already covered much, I'll only add this part of my original post: Think in terms of fuel, spark, compression, & air, making it all the way from the point of origin into the cylinder, all with the right timing, and you will track down the one missing. Possibly ignition timing, valve timing/seating or compression is off.
          When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Thanks guys! No work has recently been done on the car. 145,000 miles and I will check for correct timing. All the fuses have been checked. Question: Where is the best place to squirt a small amount of starting fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by brianto90 View Post
              Thanks guys! No work has recently been done on the car. 145,000 miles and I will check for correct timing. All the fuses have been checked. Question: Where is the best place to squirt a small amount of starting fluid?
              Probably the little hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake tube. But I'm thinking the issue is with one of the sensors in your disty.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Thanks for the help everybody! Tom in mo was correct! Swapped distributors and all is good!! I'm only 2 hours south of you Tom, if you ever need anything give me a shout!!

Comment

Originally posted by brianto90 View Post
                  Thanks for the help everybody! Tom in mo was correct! Swapped distributors and all is good!! I'm only 2 hours south of you Tom, if you ever need anything give me a shout!!
                  $100,00 in small unmarked bills.......

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                  X