No announcement yet.

Crank and Fuel but no spark after engine gets hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a procedure or resistance value that can verify whether or not an ICM is bad or not?
    I had an similar experience just recently. After starting to drive the car regularly I took it for a run on a warmer than normal day and upon my return leg home, entering an on ramp it just sputtered died & wouldn't restart. Once it cooled it started up again.

Comment

need: sounds like the Ignition Control Module (aka transistorized points, inside the distributor) . When they start to go random stalling when warm cured by letting the engine cool is a typical symptom. Sorry if that's been covered already - it's an old thread.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 06-01-2016, 12:43 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by needragr View Post
        is there a procedure or resistance value that can verify whether or not an ICM is bad or not?
        I had an similar experience just recently. After starting to drive the car regularly I took it for a run on a warmer than normal day and upon my return leg home, entering an on ramp it just sputtered died & wouldn't restart. Once it cooled it started up again.
        We need to know the model year and transmission type of your car, as the carb and efi cars have different systems.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

89 LX (carbed) 5 speed. Thx.

Comment

First thing, look for oil under the distributor cap. Secondly, check the coil resistance values. Then, check the continuity of the pickup coil. If those check out, then suspect the ICM.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X