Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank removal

91 Festiva 2 dr. with EFI

Can the gas tank be removed without removing the exhaust and parking brake cable, or am I just wasting time trying?

OK, yes, with great difficulty :-). Putting it back in is going to be all kinds of fun, eh?

Comment

You only need to remove the bolt that holds the parking brake cable to the side of the tank. as for getting it in and out its not hard I've done it a few times. you just have to be patient and take it slow. you have to angle everything just right and it will slide right out and right back in again
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Putting it back was easier, but not effortless!

The leak, by the way, was between one of the corner reinforcing plates and the bottom half of the tank (due to rust). Rather than welding it I used epoxy. Took the plate off, ground everything clean, and pop riveted the plate back on with a thick layer of glue between. Filled it up this morning and all seems to be well!

What in the world are all those hoses for? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by PaulLehr View Post
          You only need to remove the bolt that holds the parking brake cable to the side of the tank. as for getting it in and out its not hard I've done it a few times. you just have to be patient and take it slow. you have to angle everything just right and it will slide right out and right back in again

Question, how do I detach the filler hose from the tank? i have all other hoses off, but this one is like a solid piece of rubber/plastic and proving difficult to remove without breaking or tearing it. this is my first festy so i want to do it without hurting or breaking it (as im sure you all understand). Kartracer gave me some tips and now its just the filler hose i'm having trouble with. Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

P.S. what to use when cleaning the gas tank out? :headbang:
          '93 Ford Festiva "RedRum"
          L Series, 5 Speed, Fun-Top
          Renaissance W. R.

Comment

you can either pull the filler neck out, OR start to drop the tank and pull the hose at the same time. as for cleaning the tank, use Kero and then water.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

All those little hoses are returns, canister vapor lines and roll over valve stuff.

Don't have Kero out here, is that some of that rust eater stuff ?
              I didn't check the farm supply stores, could be there.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

kerosene....
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It's kinda expensive to buy, but I had a gallon of carb/parts cleaner setting around I used on Lucky's tank and it left it sparkling cleen.
                  91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                  82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                  85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

thank you festYboy, Movin and kartracer46, im about to get down, dirty and cold with this tank. i will post pics of the tanks insides when i can. until then....
                    Renaissance W. R.

Comment

FINALLY!!!!! got that d@mned gas tank out, but it looks like a crystal mine in there, so i can use kerosene or carb/parts cleaner to clean it out? if so how long does it take to clean out the tank? do i let it soak? if so how long do i soak it? and how much would a gallon of carb/parts cleaner cost?
                      Renaissance W. R.

Comment

Working...
                      X