BP Code 03, high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP Code 03, high idle

So I just got my old Festiva back, which I sold almost 4 years ago. I was able to fix a wiring issue that the previous owner was unable to locate. The positive battery cable had grounded out on a bracket near the starter. A new battery and a new wire and it started up. It's no longer in the best of shape, but it now runs and drives. However, the idle is terrible. It was surging up and down yesterday, between 1500-2500 rpm. After topping off the coolant, it now settles at 1500rpm. Which is still almost double the recommended idle speed. This is with the idle screw all the way in. It also throws CEL code 03, which I believe is the Crankshaft Identification Sensor (CID). This is the 4th wire on the distributor of the BP harness. I checked the wiring and it looks okay at the ECU, where the wire was spliced in, and the distributor. So I'm not sure what could cause the code, and searching has not revealed anything about the CID. Despite these issues it still pulls strong. Any ideas?
    BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

This is an old post, but I was able to fix the check engine light. It was the distributor. Idle is still off, but I have not set the timing yet. Also, is the only idle adjustment the single screw on the throttle body?

Comment

There should be a throttle stop adjustment too. I'm not talking about the dashpot either.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^yes but don't touch it, it sets the throttle blade clearance. If you have an idle issue, check your IAC function, if it's stuck or out of position, you can have a high idle even with the base idle screw bottomed out.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          ^yes but don't touch it, it sets the throttle blade clearance. If you have an idle issue, check your IAC function, if it's stuck or out of position, you can have a high idle even with the base idle screw bottomed out.
          True but if someone else already messed with it...
          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

There's usually lock tight or paint applied to the screw to prevent tampering

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              True but if someone else already messed with it...
              Yeah at this point I have no idea what the guy did to it while he had it. It idled fine when I sold it 4 years ago. Is there any "normal" setting. Like, 1/2 turn, or 1 full turn out? Also, how do I make sure the IAC is functioning correctly?

Comment

The correct setting for the throttle stop is where ever it sits with the throttle plate at the lashed point. And by that I mean the plate at the closed position is still open a fraction (via a feeler gauge). I just can't tell you what that measurement is atm.

Comment

Thought I saw .004" somewhere but that seems tiny.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

It's not much, basically just enough to keep the plate from binding in the throttle bore.

Comment

Working...
                    X