Cold weather speedometer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather speedometer problem

I have been daily driving the '90L plus. Automatic with factory tach/speedo cluster. At any given time the speedometer is inaccurate at all speeds and has a slight rattling sound. It also reads about 10MPH slow. In cold weather though, over 25 MPH all hell breaks loose. The sound of a swarm of angry bees and needle vibrates and jumps to anywhere from 65 to pegged at 85+. This will continue until I slow to 25 MPH or so. I've had the speedo cable out and took the core out. Cleaned and lubed with dry powder graphite and reinstalled. Still happens. Any ideas. Would it likely be the cable or the gauge that is the issue? Is it even possible to lubricate the speedo gauge?

Watch below.
    1990 Festiva cold weather issue. Automatic car with factory tach/speedo cluster. At any given time the speedometer is inaccurate at all speeds and has a slig...
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Have you pulled the pinion gear and checked the teeth? Make sure the cable is set into the pinion gear.

If its not the gear. Or the cable. Then its the gauge.

Comment

Pull the speedo cable and housing. Thoroughly clean both with solvent and feel all along the cable for any rough spots or burrs. Lube both well, some say lock-ease and I have used silicone grease, and reinstall. If that doesn't help, you might need a different speedo.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

You can pull the transmission end of the cable and connect a variable speed drill for stationary testing. First turn the cable slowy by hand to see if it's forward or reverse before putting it in the chuck of the drill. I've had my display out to clean and lube when cleaning and lubricating the cable didn't fix the problem. It's better now but not completely cured. A serch of this site will bring up other posts where people have fixed the problem by installing a new cable. Mine might have a bit of a kink in it somewhere but not worth the expense of a new cable to see if that cures it.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Here are photos. These are for an '89. The photos in the Haynes manual are for a later model. Fastener arrangement a bit different.
          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
          X