Vibration diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration diagnosis

'91, B3, 5speed. I have a really bad vibration problem. It really becomes noticeable at 80 and above, but you can just get a hint of it at 60. As I got faster, it just gets worse. It shakes the whole car and it's shaking loose my dashboard. It fades in and out, alternating about every five seconds, like there are two frequencies lining up, then synchopating, then matching again. The vibration was present before I bought new tires and had the wheels balanced. One of my automotive instructors suggested having my drive axles balanced. Just looking for more opinions or any tests I can do. If I end up pulling the axles, are there any upgrades with which I can replace them?

Thanks guys
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

Most of us have experienced vibration issues at various speeds.It can be difficult to pinpoint.New tires which can be slightly out of round from the factory and all new parts(which can be cheaply made) do not always solve this completely.They were not engineered to be driven 80 mph but more in the 55-60 range.One i had replaced all steering and suspension and tires but my alignment wasnt perfect so i would get a bad shudder at 55-60 that would smooth out at 65-70.Getting the alignment true straightened that out.(I always do my own alignments and for some reason that one gave me trouble).Doing a swap or going with spacers and bigger tires and wheels can really smooth things out at high freeway speeds.Just remember speed can kill faster ....especially in a festy.

Comment

Found out the PO didn't have the last set of tires balanced -____- high speed vibration is gone!!! I almost miss it, though. I used it as my speed limit. Now I actually have to look at my dash to know how fast I'm going but she still shakes at around 55-65mph. I think it's cuz of my loose tie rods, but I guess I'll find out when I replace them
      A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
      Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Working...
      X