CALIPER SLIDER PINS.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALIPER SLIDER PINS.........

My brake caliper slider pins are stuck. How do you get them out?

in FLA?? thought this was mostly a rust belt problem. hard to believe steel can rust to rubber. i always wished those pins were stainless. it will be easier to remove caliper and remove outer pad holder and do this in a vise but then you have to bleed brakes. either way it can be done with the caliper hanging on the car also. lift rubber boot lips from groove in both ends of the pin and liberally soak with PB blaster or other penetrate and let sit a bit. it's a little awkward but i use a big C-clamp and a socket slightly smaller than pin diameter to get it moving. then go to a deep socket to push it the rest of the way. i try to avoid hammering so not to mushroom the pin end. clean up pins with fine sandpaper or get new ones. i would use new boots too. probably the old ones were damaged. i'd recommend cleaning up the bores in the caliper body also. there is a Dremel stone or drum sander that fits the bore perfectly. this especially helps on the bore that uses the boot that is a single piece. if the bore is not cleaned of rust the pin has a tendency to push out the boot as you are pushing in the pin in my experiences. needless to say do a thorough lube inside the boot grooves and pins before reinstall. then you will have increased your front braking 50%.

Comment

I've scraped rusty pins with a piece of broken hacksaw blade. Then cut a thin strip of emery cloth type sandpaper, put it over the pin, and pulled back an forth like shining shoes. Finally left a drop of oil on them. All this done without removing anything. Should get your pads moving. To compress the pads I use slip joint adjustable pliers to squeeze the inner and outer pads together. You need to do that to get some play in the calipers to remove them when changing pads. Haynes manual says to use a "C" clamp which is another way to do it.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 02-19-2016, 09:13 AM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Once you get them out replace them they are cheap. The rust will come back quickly so just replace them. And use some High Temp Copper anti seize when you install them.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Agreed. I replaced mine, super cheap. I use brake calliper grease, i think it lets them slide better in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Next...............inner brake pad worn down to warning tab [outer pad like new] on one side of car....the side where the sliders were still free.........what's up with that?

Comment

Thats because the sliders were stuck. Only allowed the one pad to brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

While the calipers are off check the pistons are free to move too. Just don't let any air into the lines or the brakes will have to be bled.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                    Next...............inner brake pad worn down to warning tab [outer pad like new] on one side of car....the side where the sliders were still free.........what's up with that?
                    Sounds like the piston isnt retracting causing the Brake to drag.

Comment

maybe i'm thinking wrong but that seems normal for frozen slide pins. figure like this. normally the force of the piston against the back of the inner pad not only applies pressure to the inner pad to move it against the back of the disc but also uses that force to move (float) the whole caliper body towards the engine on the pins which simultaneously pulls the outer pad also towards the engine and clamps the outer face of the disc. if the pins are frozen bad enough not to allow this movement, the caliper body will not move (float). the only braking you will have is the piston pushing only the inner pad against only the backside of the disc. the outer pad is just along for the ride while the inner pads are doing 100% of the braking with 1/2 a disc!

Comment

He said it was on the side that the slider pins were free, thats why I mentioned his Pistons.

Comment

Working...
                        X