No announcement yet.

Engine stutters randomly, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine stutters randomly, suggestions?

About to dive into some options I think might help solve the issue and wonder if there is some insight any of you have. It is a newish to me 91 Festiva original fuel injected motor.

The issue is a couple days ago the engine will blip or stutter a little at idle while warming up, and sometimes when revving up under load it will blip a once or twice. It isn't consistent however, it doesn't happen every day, and goes away without explanation.

I'm thinking of doing fuel filter, air filter, checking spark plugs, putting electrical grease on spark plug wires and checking intake hoses for leaks. (Spray around intake hoses with starting fluid?) I think I remember seeing a repair link with pics about how to clean the MAF system, but was unable to find it in the search again. Wonder if that could be the issue also. Thanks for any help!

Not the MAF, but I mean the air volume sensor cleaning process

Comment

Found the link finally, I will let you all know if I find the issue. Seems like most common repair for the hesitation issue relates to the intake system having a leak or the air volume sensor needing service.

Comment

Your tune up suggestions are good basic measures. Also lift the back seat and pull the fuel pump. Change the sock on the suction end of the fuel pump. These get corroded and plugged after 20 plus years. If you remove the VAF for cleaning, disconnect the connector by removing the paper clip fastener, not the screws.
        "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
        “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, greased electrical connections and checked the air volume sensor mechanism. It moved very easily and freely so I generally sprayed carb cleaner in a spot but didn't dissect it. Still getting a blip here and there. Next day I have to work on it I will replace the pickup sock and check timing. One work plug seemed to be covered in white deposits more than another, would this be an indication of something?

Comment

Not work plug, spark plug*

Comment

You could take a look at the fuel filtre. Also the air filtre which can be cleaned up with a vacuum cleaner. Did you clean and check the gap on the spark plugs while they were out? Those should help, ie air/fuel mix and spark. Sorry, can't be definite about what's causing the problem.
              Last edited by WmWatt; 02-21-2016, 04:35 PM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I replaced the fusible links today, realized one was someone's home wiring job, haven't had much time driving it after but the idle smoothed right out and was consistently around 800rpm. Hope that was it!

Comment

Working...
                X