Speedometer stops at 20 mph.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer stops at 20 mph.

Looking for a little bit of diagnostic help. 1990 Festiva L 5 speed. While driving, the speedometer accelerates to 20 mph. It won't go past that speed. The following items have been swapped out. Instrument cluster, speedometer cable, and the gear that drops down into the transmission. Remembering Jeff - 5.0zone's 500,000 mile festy had a nonworking instrument cluster after racking up 500,000 miles. His was caused by the gear that drives the gear that you drop into the top of the transmission. Is there anything else it can be?
    Thanks in advance,
    neanderpaul
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

I guess you know you can put the end of the cable into an electric drill for testing? When I had my cluster out I used a drop of oil on the end of a pin to lubricate the gears in the display end. Maybe the needle is blocked?
    Last edited by WmWatt; 02-24-2016, 06:42 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks, it occurred on both instrument clusters.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
        Thanks, it occurred on both instrument clusters.
        Do you still have one thats out that you can test with a drill? If it works fine i would remove the instrument cluster but leave the cable attached to the trans and go for a drive. See if it actually doesnt turn any faster. Then if thats fine and there are no teeth missing off the speedo gear i think it would have to be the transmission. Have a close look at the speedo gear and check for unusual wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you sure the car goes faster than 20mph?

~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

[emoji12]

Comment

Push right pedal farther down, that should help.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
              X